2 Months Post Op. Results Not at All What I Wanted, Will They Change? (photo)

I had a BA surgery 2 months ago..Dr told me everything would get better.they are different shapes, one is round and my left one seems flat on the inside bottom corner and this has not gotten better ! Big blue veins, different sized nipples, stretch marks, big scars (it was supposed to be infra-mammary and I woke up and had scars both around my nipples and crease incisions! he was supposed to make nipples smaller but one is big!) Do you think things will still settle? what would I need to fix?

Unhappy with results after 2 months

It is still a little early to completely throw in the towel. I usually tell patients to wait at least 3 months before they see their end results. And some patients take 6 months or longer. But things should be getting better every month and not being static. The shape and position of the breasts should improve without any intervention, unless you have developed an early capsular contracture or if the implant pockets were not properly dissected. The big blue veins are probably unavoidable and not really something that could have been prevented. The different sized nipples and the uncertainty about where scars were going to be seem to be a result of poor communication between you and your surgeon before your procedure. You should have known exactly what was going to be done to you. I would recommend going back to see you surgeon. Take photos now and then again in a month. If things look better, they will continue to improve. If not, you might be needing a revision.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

2 Months Post Op. Results Not at All What I Wanted

There seems to have been some let-down in communication here. The areolas could not have been made smaller without incision and therefore scar around the areolas. As to position and shape, it is still early. These under the muscle implants often look just right in surgery while the pectoral muscles are relaxed, but then on awaken both implants are compressed by the muscles, usually to a different degree (more so on the handed side), and it can take 3-4 months, occasionally longer to settle. 

The photos you have taken with arms partly elevated distort the breast shape and make the photos difficult to evaluate. If all is not well in two months, consider resubmitting the question with photos that appear more like those you can see to the right under the featured doctors column.

Patience. All the best.   

2 month post-op not happy with results

Some issues may resolve with time. Usually it takes about 3 months for most swelling to be gone. Results can improve up to a year. Rushing into a procedure to fix anything to soon can result in more problems. As far as the scars - the incisions around the areola is to reduce the areola. The scars in the crease is where the implant went in. I'm sure that if you are still unhappy with your result the surgeon will make any adjustments necessary.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Unsatisfactory outcome in breast implants

These pictures are slightly difficult to interpret since it appears that you may be taking them, and therefore, you may be contracting the muscle to make the implant look slightly displaced. Having said that, some of the noticeable things are that there is some asymmetry between your breasts and the implants seem to be riding too high. It is still a bit early to make a final judgement since things may continue to settle and soften. I usually tell people to wait at least six months before they can know that they have their final result. If after six months you are still not happy with your results, go back to your surgeon and tell him the things that you do not like. Simple revision surgery should correct any of these problems. From what I see, you should end up with an excellent result with a minor pocket adjustment.

The blue veins and stretch marks were likely unavoidable. They will settle in time and become less noticeable.

The scar around your areola was probably a communication failure. If you requested a reduction in nipple size, the only way to achieve that is through an incision around the nipple. If they continue to be asymmetrical and you need a pocket revision, this can also be fixed at the same time.

Good luck and don't be discouraged....with some patience and perseverance, you can still get a very excellent outcome.

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven General Surgeon

Unhappy 2 months after Breast Aug/Lift

At this point, you really should just wait a few more months to determine if anything will change. It may not, but reoperating too early can lead to additional issues. Once your breast shape has stabilized, then you can discuss revision surgery if necessary.