What can I do to speed the healing of my still-red scar and belly button 8 months after my tummy tuck?

The scar is thin and i am very happy with the results. No lipo was done. I am still using scar cream. The feeling is just starting to come back in my belly under my belly button. The scar is still pretty red and my belly button is still red. Anything i can do to speed this along? My PS suggested a laser treatment but he only recommends one particular dr who is a a couple hours a way. I really don't want to make the trip or pay the high price of a Manhattan dr.

Red scar

Redness can persist in scars for months to years after the surgery. It is a bit difficult to predict how individual patients will do in this respect, since quite a bit of the scar pattern is dictated by your own biology. Some people take twice as long to have the red disappear. The good news is that in the majority of the cases it does fade in time. It is said that laser can make that time shorter. If the cost is prohibitive, you can rest assured that the red will fade away, it just may take longer.

If your scars are hypertrophic (meaning wide and thick as well as red) sometimes injecting them with kenalog can soften them and make them less red and itchy.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Red scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck and I hope this helps.

What can I do to speed the healing of my still-red scar and belly button, eight months after my tummy tuck?

Thank you very much for your enquiry. It is slightly unusual for a tummy button to be red 8 months following a tummy tuck, but we would generally advise the application of a silicone medication such as Prosil. This is a stick which can be applied to scars which helps speed their resolution and decreases their redness and lumpiness.
It would be worth having a look at Prosil on the website and you can order it online if you so wish. I hope this helps and the scarring settles down with time.
With best wishes.

With best wishes.

What can I do to speed the healing of my still red scar and belly button 8 months after my tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. Without providing a picture or a physical examination, it is difficult to determine the exact course of treatment for your scar. Generally speaking the maturation phase for any scar usually extends anywhere from 12 to 18 months after the initial surgery. I always advise my patients to practice routine sun protection throughout this period as to prevent hyperpigmentation that can occur with prolonged sun exposure. 

There are multiple scar treatments on the market that I advise my patients to use should they be interested. Scar guard (which can be purchased directly through your surgeon or over the counter at any drug store) has been shown to help improve hyperpigmentation. There are two forms of the product on the market Scar Guard is used while the scar is still in the maturation phase, and scar guard lightener is used after completion of the maturation phase to help lighten the pigmentation. Another product that I recommend to my patients is called Kelo-cote which can be purchased at some drug stores as well as online. This product similar to Scar Guard helps to reduce hypertrophic, keloid, and atrophic scarring patterns. 

Whatever scar cream you choose to use, I would definitely suggest you clearing it with your plastic surgeon prior to application. I hope this information helps you and good luck.

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Diplomat-American Board of Surgery
Diplomat-American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Diplomat-American Board of Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Belly button redness

Thank you for your question. I'm happy that you are pleased with your result. I would hold off on laser treatment which could be expensive and not very helpful. A photograph would be useful to help us better address your concerns.

A hypertrophic scar (red, raised, firm) could respond to a silicone gel "band aid," or the Scar Recovery Gel that Dr. Vistnes has suggested. In some cases we do Kenalog (steroid) injections. Time alone improves all scars. If the scar doesn't improve with time or treatment, a scar revision could be done after one year. This is a relatively minor procedure. Most surgeons do not charge for it. Good luck. 

William McClure, MD

Belly button redness

William McClure, MD

Scar managment

I have tried almost everything out there on patients over the past 20 years and in my experience I think that a relatively new product called Scar Recovery Gel is the most effective product in minimizing the appearance of scars. It is available without a prescription but usually only available through a physicians office. I will usually recommend it for all patients and have them begin applying it to a new healing scar within a week of surgery. Consult with your plastic surgeon regarding specific instructions for your particular case. Dean Vistnes

Scar managment

Red abdominal scarring

It would be helpful for you to post a photo of the scar for assessment of whether it is hypertrophic, such that injections of Kenalog would be beneficial, or if some other process is ongoing.  Thanks.

Red abdominal scarring