6 Months Post Op Breast Augmentation, Uneven Breasts....

Had BA Dec 2010 Under the Muscle Silicone Gel Med Profile 400cc on both breasts. I was a 34A cup and now a 34D. I have had some rippling issues in my cleavage area you can mildly see in the pictures which I am concerned with and why are they so uneven? I asked my PS about this he said to massage the right breast for the next 6 wks until my appt on 8/16. I moved the appt up to next week 7/21 b/c I am finding the only thing to make the uneven-ness not visible is a sports bra... unhappy.

Breast asymmetries following breast augmentation surgery

Your photos are very helpful in assessing  your situation. Preoperative photos would be very helpful so as to determine how much asymmetry you had prior to surgery. Presently, your right breast is higher, smaller and the crease is significantly higher. If this higher crease was present prior to surgery, the treatment would be to lower it and therefore lower the position of the implant, providing you with greater symmetry. Consideration may need be given for a slightly larger implant on the right.

You did not mention whether your right breast feels hard which is a consequence of capsular contracture and can cause the crease to rise on that side.

You may want to obtain a second opinion as well from 1 or more other board certified plastic surgeons regarding your situation. Ultimately, you will need some revision surgery to improve your outcome.

Uneven after breast augmentation

It would be nice to see pre-operative photos to see if there was any degree of uneveness that was not correccted.  It also appears that the right side may be tighter and have a firmer capsule than the left.  Itr may be that you need a release of the capsule on the right or a different size implant.  Discuss this at lenghth with your plastic surgeon.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after surgery

Thank you for your question.  Temporary asymmetry is quite common after breast augmentation.  For one thing, most patients have asymmetry before surgery but just never notice it, and maybe their plastic surgeon never noticed it.  If you look back at your before pictures you may notice it now.  So with a breast augmentation, your breasts will be fuller and larger but they are still going to have some of that inherent breast asymmetry.  A breast augmentation can not change the nipple position, the width of the breast, the level of the crease etc.  This requires more advanced techniques like a mastopexy or revision which often requires more scars on the breast.  So your breasts will be sisters, not twins afterwards.  That being said, sometimes we will place two different size implants if the discrepancy is substantial enough to at least try to correct some of the difference between the two breasts...but again this is not going to make them twins.  In addition, implants tend to settle and sit in the pocket differently.  So one breast might seem lower and smaller, or lower and larger depending on the rate of settling.  I typically recommend patients wait a full 3 months before we critically assess the results and begin having any discussions about a revision surgery.  

P.S. RealSelf has a button called the “Follow” button.  It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new review

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Brian Arslanian, MD

Asymmetry

Pre op photos would be ideal to see how much asymmetry you had pre BA. However it does look like the right breast implant may be placed too high . This should be judged at about 6-12 weeks then raised as necessary

Revision surgery

The asymmetry is visible and I understand why you're concerned. At this point, I don't think massage will help much. You should request something more to be done. Perhaps revision surgery may be necessary. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Revisional surgery may be needed to correct asymmetry.

There’s no question that you have breast asymmetry following your breast augmentation procedure.Your pictures suggest an elevated right infra-mammary fold, nipple areola malposition and an increased upper breast fullness.In addition, your left breast is significantly larger than your right breast.
Unfortunately, without pre-operative pictures and a physical examination, it’s difficult to determine the exact cause of these problems.It’s entirely possible that some of your asymmetry was present prior to surgery.If this was the case, it may be impossible to totally correct the problems without making compromises.
A more likely scenario is that you’ve developed a capsular contracture of the right breast.Under these circumstances, release of the capsular contracture and replacement of your current implant with a larger breast implant might correct the problem.
It’s safe to say that massage probably won’t impact your situation at this point in time and that revisional surgery is probably indicated.For this reason, it’s important that you have further discussion with your plastic surgeon about your options.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Follow surgeon's instructions to see if asymmetry fixes itself

You should follow your surgeon's instructions and see if there's any improvement. If not, then you may consider revision surgery. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Postop breast asymmetry after 6 months

The photos definitely shows that there is definite asymmetry between the breasts. You did not include photos of your preop breasts which would be helpful in analyzing the problem. But regardless at this tiem surgeryand not massaging is the only way to correct the asymmetry which would inlude lowering the right breast and possibly changing the size of the implant. Discuss with your PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Uneven breasts after augmentation

I agree with the many experts who posted already. To summarize, there are several reasons why your breasts may be uneven - pre-existing asymmetry which may have been helped with a large implant on your right adn lowering the right fold slightly, a chest wall concavity on the right which is making the right breast implant "sink" into the chest and can make it appear smaller than the left, or the development of capsular contracture or scarring around the right implant.  A pre-op photo will help to narrow down these possibilities, but regardless of the cause, it appears that a repeat operation is indicated if you are unhappy with the results. I don't think that massaging will do much to improve things significantly at this point.  As said before, you may consider another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Matthew Schulman, MD

6 Months Post Op Breast Augmentation, Uneven Breasts.

As you can read from the expert posters here you will need a revision of this surgery. Sorry. Best to obtain some other opinions from boarded PSSs in your area just to hear other options.