Tummy Tuck or Lower Body Lift? (Photos)

I am 5'8" and 200#s. 3 children and about a 90# weight loss have left me looking deflated. Should I consider a LBL instead of a TT? I've always had it in my head that I would get a TT, but the more I see the puckers on the outside of my thighs and the shape of my butt, I'm wondering if I should go the LBL route. I'm going to start scheduling PS consults this month, but I'd really like to lose another 10-15#s before scheduling surgery. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Tummy Tuck or Lower Body Lift?

Thank you for the photos.  Whilst I agree with the other answers you have received, if you decide against a LBL then you could consider having a full tummy tuck combined with a pubic lift.  Your tummy tuck incision could be extended to remove all the loose skin on your tummy.  Liposuction could be done at the same time to address your love handles and hips in the back and improve your shape.  Which ever way you decide to go, I anticipate that you are going to look fabulous!  Please make sure that your weight loss has stabilized before you proceed with surgery and that you are eating a healthy diet with plenty of protein to help with your healing.  I wish you all the best!

Tummy tuck after large weight loss

Congratulations on your efforts and accomplishments thus far. Continue to eat healthily and perform conditioning exercises. Your photos depict the results of a substantial weight loss: there is laxity in the horizontal AND vertical dimensions. I see that some abdominal muscle laxity exist as well. Your option include a standard abdominoplasty but that will leave slack skin ion the upper abdomen; a circumferential tummy tuck which will remove the over hang but will leave some laxity across the mid-abdomen; and a "corset" abdominoplasty which will address both the horizontal AND vertical laxity while shaping your waist and flatten the tummy. Be sure that you consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon who has demonstrated competent in these procedures and who can show you plenty of pictures that show his/her results. 

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Lower Body Lift?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your massive weight loss. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a lower body lift. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Lower body lift

I agree with the other answers, that if you are healthy, not on diet pills, have no significant history of DVT, that a lower body lift will give you the best results. Congrats on the weight loss and I think, if you have a target weight, try to get close to it, but by all means, see a boarded plastic surgeon and get his or her opinion.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift Will Be The Way To Go

Congratulations on your weight loss. I have found the lower body lift procedure to be the ideal procedure for lower body contouring in massive weight loss patients. The issue with tummy tucks in massive weight loss patients is, almost uniformly, massive weight loss patients have laxity circumferentially. Tummy tucks will only manage the anterior laxity. This often produces unsatisfactory results. You are right in that the lower body lift will also improve your lateral thighs and buttocks giving you a lateral thigh and buttock lift. You will also benefit from adjunctive liposuction- especially in the lateral thigh which will assist with your thigh lift. The lower body lift will be a very powerful procedure for you, Good Luck!

Kahlil Andrews, MD
Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Body lift vs. Tummy Tuck after weight loss

Thank you for posting your photographs, and congratulations on losing the weight!  Certainly, I would recommend you speak with an experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  However, from the photographs, it does appear that you would get significantly more improvement from a circumferential abdominoplasty or lower body lift than you would from an anterior abdominoplasty alone.If you only have the anterior abdominoplasty, it is predictable that you would still have looseness to the side and posteriorly, and would have fullness or "dog ear" formation to the sides.  Additional procedures might also be helpful, and your board-certified plastic surgeon can guide you.Both the anterior and circumferential abdominoplasty can be done without drains.

James Nachbar, MD

Tummy tuck or lower body lift

At the end of the day the correct procedure will depend on what you would like to achieve. A tummy tuck will address the issues in the front and a lower body lift will target the lateral thighs and buttocks / lower back for improvement. I think that if you want to achieve the best shape and contour possible for all of these areas a lower body lift would be my procedure of choice. Good luck!

TT vs LBL

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures LBL will give optimal results and it will address loose skin of abdomen, hips and buttocks, where as TT will address only abdomen. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Tummy tuck vs body lift vs weight loss

Weight loss and a good exercise regime is always a great goal in that it promotes good health and reduces the risk of diabetes and heart disease.We ask that all our tummy tuck patients or body lift patients spend a night in the Aftercare, where their oxygen and vital signs are monitored, and they can receive medical attention if needed.Tummy tucks treat the front of the body; body lifts treat the sides and the back areas.There are blended procedures that some practices offer which have aspects of a tummy tuck and aspects of a body lift, depending on what the patient needs.  This allows the patient to balance shorter scars but still achieve correction of problem areas.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy tuck vs Lower body lift

First off, congratulations on your successful weight loss.  Your provided photos assist greatly in formulating some discussion points for your upcoming consultation(s).Weight loss patients present with a number of potential changes/concerns to there body.  It is not uncommon to discuss treatment options for the face/neck, breasts, arms, abdomen, buttocks, and thighs.   Each weight loss patient will have differing concerns.  Thus, we as surgeons must provide an appropriate individualized surgical approach.  Body contouring procedures can be done in certain combinations, keeping in mind surgical time and patient safety.In regards to your specific situation, you need to emphasize during consultation the areas that bother you most.  You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck to address your abdominal changes.  The next question is how much do your lateral thighs, hips, and gluteal area bother you.  These can be addressed with a combined lower body lift.  This is a lengthy surgery that in my opinion should be done alone (not combining additional breast, facial, or arm surgery).  A weight loss body contouring consultation should provide you with all the information you need to feel comfortable proceeding forward.  I like to create a plan regarding all sought after procedures, including a timeline.  I would encourage you to seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck,
Dr. Mooty

R. Clark Mooty, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon