Considering rhinoplasty but overwhelmed with all of the options, unsure of the type of nose that would fit my face best (Photo)

So my question is: how does a surgeon know what's best for my face and how will I know when I've found the right artist for me? I feel like my nose is too wide, large all the way around and lacks shape...meaning the bridge is straight.

Surgeon selection

This have to be the most difficult selection in plastic surgery, because you will never find a face exactly like yours so even by showing you thousands of pictures you will never know what to expect from this surgeon. The only recommendation I can give you is to see the before and after pictures to see the line of the results of that Surgeon, all of us likes a type of result, Natural, fake, some surgeons even give the same look to all patients. that is the only thing you can evaluate on results. The other important point is how you feel when talking to that doctor. You need to feel comfortable, and believe he/she will be able to deliver a good result and trust his/hands that you will like it. 

Rhinoplasty candidate

Finding the right surgeon can be a daunting task so there are many issues to look at when choosing the appropriate surgeon. Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose the most experienced surgeon in your area for best results. In addition to their before-and-after photo gallery, look for a surgeon who is board-certified, and has dedicated a significant component of their practice to rhinoplasty. From the limited photographs, the nose can be feminized, refined, and narrowed along with de-projection of the entire nose. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish these goals by making all of the incisions on the inside of the nose. Digital computer imaging also be helpful time of the consultation examination to see what your new nose would look like on your facial features. For many examples and more information about rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Thank you for your question.  If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Board Certified Rhinoplasty surgeon who can evaluate you in person and discuss your options. Best of luck

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Facial Harmony

Thank you for your post. Consulting with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and can share a portfolio of cases demonstrating attractive, natural results. The best rhinoplasty outcomes are ones that appear to properly balance your facial features, don't appear "overdone", and enhance your overall appearance without drawing attention to your nose. Selecting the right surgeon with the best talent and with whom you feel the most comfortable with is worth the effort in planning for your surgery. You seem to be an excellent candidate to consider enhancement with rhinoplasty. Best wishes in your search. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Selecting a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Selecting a surgeon is typically the most difficult part of rhinoplasty surgery.Consult with board certified surgeons who devote most of their practice to this work. An experienced surgeon can show you examples of results in patients who looked like you, so that you have clear goals and expectations before the operation.

Start with in person consultation

There are many board certified plastic surgeon that provide great results for there patients. You need to find the one for you. Please check reviews , before and after pictures and in person evaluation. I offer my patients Vectra 3D imaging to discuss the tesults so my patients can be involved in the surgical planning. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip de-projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from nasal tip de-projection to make the overall size of your nose smaller.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty Goals

Whether or not to change the appearance of your nose is a very personal decision. If you want the best idea of what is possible for your nose, do your due diligence, find an experienced surgeon, and have him/her evaluate you in person and discuss your options. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD