Permalip or Fat Grafting? (Photos)

I plan to get a permanent lip procedure in 2 months. I spoke with a doctor today who highly advised against Permalip. Now, I'm torn between Permalip and Fat Grafting. Based on these photos provided, (wearing lipstick), which am I a better candidate for?Your insights are greatly appreciated..

Lip Augmentation with Fillers Like Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero, Lip Implant or Fat Are Options

I am not the biggest fan of lip implants and find that fillers or fat and then adding fillers later is more natural long term.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Which Lip Augmentation Procedure

Some lip augmentation patients don't choose implants because they don't like that they'll "feel" the implant. However, I have used the Advantage implants for over 20 years with a high satisfaction rate and I've been very pleased with the SurgiSil implant results as well. With both Advanta and SurgiSil, a tiny incision is made into the corner of the lip, and the implant is then threaded into position.

While I'm a huge proponent of fat transfer procedures, this can be tricky when it comes to augmenting the lips only because the fat does not 'take' as well since the grafts will be disrupted post-op with normal mouth movement (activity like talking and eating). However, the fat that does take is permanent (and tends to be more than half of what is injected).

Which you are a better candidate for is not something any of us can answer for you here, it is a personal decision you should make after learning as much as possible about all of your options and discussing those options and your desired goals with board certified plastic surgeons.

Best wishes!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Lip Augmentation

I am not a fan of permanent lip augmentation "devices" because of their unnatural feel and appearance and the frequent need to remove them if they become even slightly displaced. I recommend that you start out with a temporary filler, like Juvederm Ultra plus, to be certain that you like the look of your face with fuller lips. If you like the look, then go for fat transfer to the lips for a more permanent option. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Permanent Lip Procedure

Like many other patients, you are seeking a permanent means of achieving lip augmentation.  I believe that you will receive a multitude of answers on this subject so it will be up to you to decide on what is best for you.  Here is my opinion:  I believe that it is wrong to consider fat to be a permanent means of lip augmentation AND the lips are probably one of the worst places for fat grafting.  This does not mean that you might not have satisfactory results with this procedure.  I have had wonderful results and happy patients with the Perma Facial Implants when used for lip augmentation.  BUT while I still do these implants, I do not place as many as in the past because for the last ten years, I have used Silikon 1000 as my preferred technique for permanent lip augmentation.  The results are natural and fantastic.  And permanent.  Check out what other patients say is the "worth it rating" of Silikon 1000 on RealSelf.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon