Is it normal to have drains in 7 weeks after mastectomy and expanders?

I have have been getting expanded aggressively every 7 to 10 days. Still producing 40 to 60 cc per day. Are there other options to help with the drainage? Could something be wrong?

Prolonged drainage

Having drains in for 7 weeks is not common but can happen especially in the setting of large mastectomy and axillary node dissection. Tissue expander expansion will help eliminate space for fluid to collect. I also have my patients place drains on passive drainage instead of active suction to allow for greater absorption of fluid. Check with your plastic surgeon if you are a candidate for that. Best, Dr. Yegiyants 

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon