Doctor suggested filler. Should this be done with a face lift instead? (Photo)

My doctor at pastic assoc of montgomery in the first consultation says he can use one or two vials to fill the deep lines around the nose area. Should this be done with a face lift instead? Any suggestions?

Combining Facial Procedures

Yes, it is possible to #combine. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result.

The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. I invite you to visit PacificCenterPlasticSurgery.com to view a complete list of surgeries commonly performed. 
The first step is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Should you get a facelift?

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Facelift

Thank you for your question. Although cosmetic fillers can do a lot to create a more youthful facial appearance and might be able to postpone the need for a facelift, they cannot replace the effects that a facelift will create. When there is significant loose skin and droopiness of the facial muscles, all of the fillers in the world will not be able to create the transformation that a facelift can. I suggest that you move forward and consult with another board certified facial plastic surgeon. The in-person examination - by a second opinion - will help you determine your need. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial fillers versus a Facelift procedure

Thank you for your question. Facial fillers are generally considered to be temporary "fixes", although some of them (Sculptra, Voluma, Volbella) have become longer-lasting options. From looking at your photo, it appears that you could potentially benefit from a facelift procedure . However, if you are not quite ready to commit to surgery at this time, filler properly injected into your naso-labial folds could diminish the depth and appearance of these fairly deep grooves. As always, an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is your very best bet. 

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing #fillers #jowls

Dear Randee01

Thank you for your question and photo! It would be best to see you in consult to determine your goals !  If you are unsure, then another consult would be helpful.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Doctor suggested filler. Should this be done with a face lift instead?

Based on the photo, I would suggest a facelift combined with free fat grafting. For most people, volume loss needs to be treated as much as the loose skin to achieve the most youthful appearance. Good luck!

Facelift

Thank you for sending images. While a facelift would help to some degree, it appears your real issue is volume loss. This can be corrected with either implants, injectable fillers or fat injections. 

Although it is impossible to give an exact diagnosis and plan just with a single image, my recommendation would be to explore your options with fillers first. They have a high margin of safety, are relatively easy to do in the office, give immediate results and are reversible if there is something you do not like.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with fat transfer might be a good option

Based on your photo, it appears that you can benefit from facelift with simultaneous fat transfer, which is the most natural way to plump up the skin that has lost its volume due to aging.

In the past, doctors relied on skin lifting without realizing that facial aging is caused by multiple factors, including soft tissue shrinkage; hence, modern techniques almost always incorporate fat transfer or dermal fillers to achieve a more natural-looking result.

For photo reference, please feel free to visit the attached link. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

Filler or Facelift?

Based on just one picture I suggest you consider both a facelift and fillers or fat grafts to remove excess skin, lift sagging muscles, and increase youthful facial volume which can all be done at the same time. 

Possible filler for deep lines around nose area

My recommendation would be to have the filler first to improve the loss of volume in your face, as this will improve the deep lines around your nose (called nasolabial folds).  If you feel there is not enough improvement after the filler, you could then consider surgical options for further improvement.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon