Is breast reduction worth it at my age? (Photo)

I'm 19 about 5'1 and 180 lbs. I was over 200 and I lost about 25 pounds and ever since I was young a majority of my body is my breast. I have scheduled a consultation but still frazzle myself with all the what ifs. Will my breast grow back after I have kids one day? How was the pain after the surgery and the recovery? Do you like the new you? I know my breast cover my belly. I dislike my breast 80% of the time but I'm an extremely paranoid person. Help!!!

Breast Reduction at 19

I suggest you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in consultation who will be able to give you all the pros and cons of surgery. You are the only one who can decide of the surgery is right for you. However, most women only regret that they didn't have the surgery sooner. If you have medical insurance it may cover most of the cost for you. Good luck!

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain. In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Reduction Age

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Breast reduction surgery is one of the highest satisfaction surgeries I perform.  Included in the surgery is reduction of the breast, lifting of the breast and reshaping of the breast.  Many times insurance will cover the procedure if you are having symptoms related to your large breasts.  From you photos it looks like you may qualify for surgery, but a consultation is required to tell you for sure.  During the consultation, your surgeon will discuss whether the timing is right for you regarding children, breast feeding, breast growth, etc.  

Trey Aquadro, MD

Auburn, AL

Is breast reduction worth it?

Some of the happiest patients in my practice are breast reduction patients. If you have experienced back, neck, or shoulder pain associated with large breasts, having them reduced can turn your life around. Patients are often more confident and comfortable in clothing, in addition to getting relief from back and neck pain. The majority of my patients are feeling close to 100% at around 1 week after surgery. You ultimately have to decide if the above benefits are worth the surgical scars, which generally heal very well. I've reduced patients from age 15 to the 60s. Good Luck! 

Scarless breast reduction

what a wonderful opportunity for the  liposuction only operation.  No scars, minimal recuperation, go down one or 2 cup sizes which is all you may need at this point in your life. It's not for everyone but it's worth looking into. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in it. Hope this helps.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Is breast reduction worth it at my age?

I'm sorry to hear about the physical problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy. You are wise in achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with breast reduction surgery.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure.  

It will be important that you learn about the potential risks/complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right  patient (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age). 

Online consultants will not be able to predict exactly what bra size you will end up wearing; it will be important for you to communicate your goals carefully (be careful of communicating goals in terms of cup sizes) prior to proceeding with the breast surgery. In my practice, I find the use of goal photographs and computer imaging very helpful during the communication process.

In regards to selection of your plastic surgeon ( which will be the most important decision you make) I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.   I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

you can have surgery, your age is not a problem, your worries are worth and you could need a revision after you have your kids, right now you can consider surgery as a matter of health, if your breast keeps growing then your back and neck will have pain. please consult with a board certified surgeon when you are ready to get surgery. Best Wishes!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

Breast Reduction

Often, when your breast is very large like your case, they tend to not change over time. If you lose additional weight, they tend to get smaller as well.  Breast reduction us a rewarding procedure and you should strongly consider having them. Usually issues are the scar. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon. Best,Alex Kim MD

Alex Kim, MD