Will a breast reduction make me feel like I lost my identity? (Photo)

I met with my surgeon today for a consultation. I am 19 and 180 lbs and my bra size is about a 38 E or DDD. The thing I'm most worried about is how I'll look. I would probably go down to a full C. I'm known for having big breasts it's kind of apart of my identity so if I get them reduced I don't know how I'll feel and there's no turning back. It's just a scary thought for me. Does anyone have any advice or comments on how to get over this or any tips I'd really appreciate it!!

This is a great question

Many women who have large breasts are aware that they are known as the girl with the big chest.  Some love that and flaunt it.  Others do everything they can to conceal their breast size.  You have to evaluate for yourself which side of that divide you fit into.Women your size don't become flat chested with a breast reduction.  Most transform into a size that more appropriately fits their frame.  In my practice, at least 99% of women are glad they went forward with breast reduction.  Many wish they had done it years earlier.  These women are not doing it for appearance, they are Be sure to discuss your desires with a board certified plastic surgeon who can listen to your concerns and understand your goals.
I did have one patient who won a wet T-shirt contest after her breast reduction.  I think her identity was maintained very nicely.

Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain. In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

It's normal to be somewhat concerned about having breast reduction surgery.  I think you have to decide if this is something that you really want to do. Most patients who want breast reduction can't wait to have the surgery to improve the symptoms that they are experiencing from large breasts. There's no question that at your age this is a big decision.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon