How long until I can exercise after a Breast reduction?

To be specific, I'm a soldier and need to know how long before I could train for and perform well again on my Army Physical Fitness Test. The events include 80 sit-ups in two minutes, 30 push-ups in two minutes, and a two mile run.

Recovery after breast reduction

You will need to take into account time for training for the test prior, so this will add on another 2-4 weeks. Combine this with the 4-6 weeks off needed for complete complication-free recovery, and you are looking at a minimum of 6 weeks but more realistically 8-10 weeks off after surgery. I had a patient who was starting training at a military school and she successfully passed her fitness test 8 weeks after breast reduction surgery. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Healing time and being able to exercise again after a procedure is different for each patient. It depends on how fast your body heals, usually I tell patients to take it easy for about two to six weeks post surgery. Ask your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and he should be able to help you through the healing process. Thank you for your question and good luck!

Sam Speron, MD

Thank you for your service.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. Having said that, most patients are able to drive approximately one week after surgery, engage in lower body exercises two weeks after surgery, lift more than 10 pounds 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, and run 4 to 6 weeks after surgery as well. Again, the plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to  relevant advice. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I ask my patients to refrain from strenuous activity, heavy lifting and exercise for 4 weeks after a breast reduction.  Recommendations will slightly differ but it's important to give your body ample time to heal.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Exercising after a reduction

will vary by your surgeon but my patients are allowed to start slowly doing what they want at 3 weeks post-op.  Prior to that, the only restriction is no straining or bouncing...

Curtis Wong, MD