Chin Liposuction Q and A. (photos)

I had a consultation with a doctor, and after examining me, he said that he could not guarantee 100% of good results because of a scar I have under my chin. He said I might need a scar revision procedure after the chin liposuction. I am attaching a few photos of my scar. Does anyone think the liposuction will not give me desired results? I am 36, and I have this scar since I was 11. Thank you.

Chin Liposuction Q and A.

Thank you for the question. Determining how much fat can be removed with liposuction can be done during an examination. The fat under the skin is removed with liposuction, but if there is any additional fat underneath the platysma muscle then this is not removed. Your scar could be used as an access point for the liposuction and then revised at the same time. 

Submental fat

You did not give us your age but you appear quite young in the photographs.  I would explore the possibility of the nonsurgical options--either Coolsculpt mini or Kybella.  We have seen astonishing results with each of these modalities.

Neck lift and scar revision combination

The scar located in the chin is not in the most optimal location, however it can be improved. The scar itself can be excised and that incision can be used for the access port to perform liposuction of the fat above the platysma muscle and the fatty deposits removed from the sub platysma location. A platysma plasty can also be performed  through the same incision. Once the fatty deposits have been removed in the neck, the scar will be less noticeable, since it will be tucked up underneath the jawline. Look for a surgeon who performs neck lift procedures frequently for best results.  Make appointments with three busy Neck lift specialists in your area.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Chin liposuction and scarring

Thank you for the question. Based on your photo you would benefit from submental liposuction, but you will probably need to have the fat behind the muscle addressed as well to get the best results. Through a small incision, both procedures are performed simultaneously. Any incision underneath the chin may need a scar revision and this can sometimes be treated well after surgery using a laser. Since the incision for this procedure is in the shadow below the chin, most of my patients don't really notice it. Your existing scar may be improved at the same time using a laser. I think the most important aspect of your treatment is to be sure that both areas of chin fat are addressed. Good luck.

Chin Liposuction

You can consider undergoing liposuction to improve your neck contour however the indentation and irregularity of your scar will either persist or improve, but may possibly seem more prominent as you have less skin distension from the presence of the submental fat.  Many women develop noticeable skin tightening after liposuction in this area as the neck recontours but your scar may resist this and become more noticeable.  I think your surgeon wants you to be aware of this risk and not be held responsible.  Good luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Does anyone think the liposuction will not give me desired results? I am 36, and I have this scar since I was 11.

Hi, based on the attached photos, I think that without a chin implant to augment the chin as well as liposuction under the chin you wouldn't get a good result.  I would perform Chin Augmentation, using a chin implant as described below along with liposuction and then look at a possible scar revision (if you wanted one) at 6 months post chin implant surgery.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Liposuction of chin

You are a candidate for liposuction of the neck-chin area.   See where you are after that and if necessary a chin scar revision can be done.    My Best,  Dr Commons

Scar tissue under the chin

The underlying primary reason you have a contour irregularity under your chin is because of scar tissue not for distribution.

Liposuction only removes fat.

Since the unevenness is not related to fat distribution you should not expect liposuction to improve the contour.

It's possible that it would but it's also possible it could look worse.

Scar revision could be done before during or after the procedure.

The contour irregularity from your score is most likely to scar tissue contraction or pulling in of the scar.

You should also be aware that not all scar revisions are successful and in a substantial number of patients the deformity is not corrected it were only partially corrected.

If you have faith in your plastic surgeon to let him or her dictate an appropriate plan of action.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Chin liposuction

It looks like you can have a very nice result, I would consider doing a scar revision on the chin scar at the same time and using it as an access point for the lipo.  Good luck, Jane