How much of an aesthetic improvement would rhinoplasty have for me? Is a drastic nose job possible? Or is it risky? (Photos)

I had a small nose as a child, and I feel that my nose now, is too big for my face. How much work needs to be done to regain symmetry?

Your nose

The nose begins to grow in early adolescence and reaches full size in males at about 19. It is one of the oldest, most established cosmetic procedures in the history of plastic surgery.   Reducing the size proportionately, straightening the nose and insuring a clear airway can help immeasurabley with self esteem and overall health.  However rhinoplasty is still the most challenging of all cosmetic operations and you should seek the consultation of someone with expertise in this procedure.  

Rhinoplasty

You would get a great result from a rhinoplasty.  You should have some computer imaging done to  help visualize the change you would get.  You can get a sense of whether you want to leave your dorsum straight or a little scooped out.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

How much of an aesthetic improvement would rhinoplasty have for me? Is a drastic nose job possible? Or is it risky?

A rhinoplasty would make a big difference in your facial appearance and profile. Your nose could be straightened, shortened, the tip could be lifted and made less bulbous.

Fred Suess, MD

How much of an aesthetic improvement would rhinoplasty have for me? Is a drastic nose job possible?

Thanks for your question and photos.  Generally speaking, drastic changes for male noses are too risky a change.  I think that your nose can be nicely improved and recontoured in a way that can retain a natural appearance without creating a shocking change.  That is what generally works best for all noses, especially male rhinoplasty imo.Spend time reviewing various surgeons' before and after photos and having your photos imaged before proceeding so that you have reasonable and realistic expectations and goals.Best wishes and good luck to you.
  Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

The Nose that fits your face

Hello!You have a great face and a great nose. The nose is just a touch too big for the face, I do agree.  But you want to maintain a strong masculine nose always to match your high cheek bones and strong jawline. A subtle finesse SCARLESS CLOSED rhinoplasty should be the approach you take.  All incisions are made inside the nose and with a 7 day flash recovery, no one would ever know what you did.  Shaving down your bump on the profile a little bit,  sculpting the tip a little bit, and picking up the nose just a little bit would be all you need - Key word is "little bit."  Small minor refinements to get meaningful but subtle changes. All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Aesthetic rhinoplasty

hi and thanks for your question. Based upon the photographs you have submitted I think you're an excellent candidate for a reduction rhinoplasty. The operation would overall make your nose smaller and  fit with your smaller facial features. I have been performing rhinoplasty for over 30 years so I would advise that you seek out a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is also a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Best of luck !
Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICSTriple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

RHINOPLASTY CANDIDATE

Dear grandtheftsam, I do agree that your nose is to large for your face and you would be an excellent rhinoplasty candidate. With that said, while some female patients want a drastic change in their nose in a male patient and in ethnic rhinoplasty you want to balance the patients facial features refining the nose while still having the patient look masculine. Reducing your dorsal hump, addressing the tip projection and refining the tip will give you a better balanced nose and overall facial aesthetics. I would suggest seeking consultations with some expert rhinoplasty surgeons and have imaging performed so you can see the proposed results and determine if those would be your desired outcome. See the link below for examples and the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty for Aesthetic Improvement

A full rhinoplasty can be done to decrease the size of your large nose so it is more proportional to your surrounding facial features. There are risks in any operation but this surgery is done on a daily basis, arguably the most common cosmetic operation in the country, with few complications in the hands of  specialists.

Rhinoplasty candidate for large dorsal hump

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish decreasing the overall projection of the nose, shaving down the dorsal hump, refining the tip and narrowing the bridge.  Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in cosmetic surgery, so choose your  Rhinoplasty Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.  Digital Computer imaging  would be helpful to get an understanding of what can be accomplished with your nose on your face.  For more information in many examples of dorsal hump removal, please see the video and the link below

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed masculine appearing rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon