I am 10 weeks post-op of tummy tuck and feel I've gained weight. Can I go back to gym and hiking as before?

Exercise after a tummy tuck procedure in Melbourne, FL.

Thank you for your question about exercise after your tummy tuck procedure.  While recommendations vary from surgeon to surgeon as to when patients are typically released for exercise, I advise my patients to wait at least 6 weeks before heavy lifting or strenuous exercise including a trip to the gym or hiking, as you are describing.  Starting at the six week point, typically patients can start back to physical activity and then gradually over a period of weeks work their way up to their normal physical exercise.  Definitely discuss with your board-certified plastic surgeon for any recommendations individual to you.  I hope this is helpful.  Best of luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise four to six weeks following a tummy tuck. Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. In general you can return to exercises 6-8 weeks after the procedure. It is important to also ask your surgeon because every one has different protocols. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing. In my practice patients are able to return to activities without restrictions at six weeks. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Austin Hayes, MD

Start Exercise After a Tummy Tuck

You should get clearance from your surgeon who knows you best as when to resume your exercise program. For my patients, I have them wait 6 weeks and then they should gradually increase exercise as it feels comfortable. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

After tummy tuck surgery: can I go back to gym and hiking as before?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Based on your description, it seems like you are doing very well. I would suggest that you continue to follow your plastic surgeon's instruction; online consultants will not be your best resource in this regard. 
Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. Keep in mind that many patients will not reach full strength/stamina for 2 to 3 months after the procedure was performed.   Again, return to full activity in a very slow/gradual/careful fashion. Best wishes.