Safety and latest news. Any thoughts?

I have picked my surgeon and im ready to go/ But i have seen alot in the news lateyly that women have died getting plastic surgery such as lip and tummy tucks ect in Florida and DR to name a few. I was assured by both my board certified plastic surgeon and my md board certified anesthesiologist that my case is very different although there is always risk this is not anyones fear. Any thoughts???

Many safety precautions are put in place during surgey

Thank you for your enquiry about safety with regard to combined operation of liposuction and tummy tuck.

I feel you should make careful notes and discuss all these facts with your selected surgeon and anaesthetist.

As suggested there are multiple procedures which are incorporated with your operation in order to minimise the likelihood of complications.  Your selected surgeon should be able to answer all your queries satisfactorily.

Good luck with your surgery.

How safe is a tummy tuck surgery?

Tummy tucks and any other cosmetic surgery procedure can be done safely with minimal chances of major complications if all precautions are taken. The board certified plastic surgeon has to be aware of any possible complication and take steps to prevent them. One of the major concerns with this particular procedure is deep venous thrombosis (clotting in the legs). These clots can dislodge and go to the lungs (pulmonary embolism). If the tummy tuck surgery lasts more than two hours especially if it is combined with other procedures like liposuction. It would be recommended that the patient be given proper doses of an anticoagulant like Lovenox. Prophylactic antibiotics are used to help prevent infection. There are many other technical consideration like the proper plane of dissection, the proper use of electrocautery and other factors that will depend on the skill and experience of the plastic surgeon. You have to feel good about the doctor who is going to operate on you and make sure that he is knowledgeable, caring and will do whatever it takes to make the operation safe. I wish you the best of luck.

Plastic surgery should be safe in healthy patients who are optimal candidates. Risks should be low. Unfortunately, some less qualified physicians may perform unfamiliar procedures with poor outcomes.

A follow up exam and consultation with a/your plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Safety with aesthetic surgery

Safety with any surgery should be the number one concern for both patients and surgeons. Thankfully, when aesthetic surgery is performed by a board certified plastic surgeon in conjunction with a board certified anesthesiologist at a properly accredited facility, risks of a serious complication are extremely low.

When you read deeper into the majority of these "plastic surgery" horror stories, you will find that almost all of these disaster cases are performed by a "cosmetic surgeon" (not a true plastic surgeon) usually cutting costs by not using an anesthesiologist or a proper facility. That's why it is so important to do your research, find a good plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (the only board that counts in plastic surgery) and make sure safety is prioritized over cutting costs. 

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Implants surgery

Implant surgery is considered very safe especially in a healthy young patient.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.