Will I qualify for insurance paid breast reduction?

I am 5'7 and 205lbs. I am 30 years old and wear a 40DDD bra. I have had lower back and neck pain for years and inflammatory arthritis. I have insurance through United Health Care. Do you think I would qualify for a breast reduction? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

It is hard to say if your insurance will cover a breast reduction. You should see a surgeon, be examined and consult with him/her to write a letter for pre-approval. Insurance coverage can vary tremendously. Good luck.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

There is only one way to know the answer to your question. You will need to see a plastic surgeon for consultation and exam. then that surgeon will communicate with your insurance company with his findings on exam and the guesstimated amount of breast tissue he thinks can be removed safely from each side. The insurance company will then determine if you meet their criteria and let him know the answer. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Insurance covered breast reductions

Unfortunately, its hard to tell you based on the fact each insurance company has different guidelines with each plan in their net work- It will depend on your insurance co and the plan you are on as to whether or not its covered. The  first step is contact your insurance co and see if its a benefit that is covered under your plan, an if so, what is their sliding scale?  It is usually based on height and weight- Then you need to find yourself a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon- be sure to check out there before and after pictures.

Grant A. Fairbanks, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon