Is it common to leave some part of the stitch inside incision after Breast Augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation 2 weeks ago and I went to get my stitches removed today. My PS pulled out a knot (stitch-nylon i believe) at each end of my incisions (inframammary) and cut it. Is there still some of the stitch left inside? It didn't look like it was pulled out all the way.

Sutures

Thank you for the question and photos.  These sutures you're describing may be dissolvable sutures which will disappear in time but best to follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Stitch at incision

It is difficult to answer this without being the surgeon. Often the stitch at the bottom of the incision dissolves but the knot can sometimes be apparent at the wound edge.

Dissolvable sutures

What you describe is very common. The part of the suture that you do not see will dissolve with time. Nothing to worry about. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Stitch

That is very common when your surgeon closes the incision line with a buried stitch. The remaining suture which you do not see will dissolve over time.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal

If that suture was of the dissolvable type which is commonly used in plastic surgery it's no problem. You certainly can ask your plastic surgeon if that is the case and if not what is the fate of a non-dissolvable suture left just under the skin. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Ask your doctor

It does depend on whether the stitch is dissolvable .
You should ask your doctor or the nursing staff in your surgeon's office. 

Definitely Possible

It is definitely possible that a stitch is left behind. What matters most is determining the type of sutures used. Please follow up with your surgeon to make sure it is removed if it is non absorbable.

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stitch inside?

It is possible to have a stitch left inside.  It would be important to know what type of suture your doctor used.  Often times with dissolvable sutures, the knot is clipped and the remaining suture is left in place to dissolve.  I would ask you PS about this -- If you have a good rapport with your doc, you should not have any difficulty asking this question.  Best of luck!!

Gregory Swank, MD
Hickory Plastic Surgeon