Had septoplasy and turbinate reduction 7 weeks ago.

My throat is so phlemy and mucousy all the time-choking and always clearing throat. will this go away

#Septoplasty

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Mucous after septopalsty

Thanks for the question. Without examining you or knowing the details of your surgery I can only speculate. Sometimes surgeons pass an absorbable suture through the septum as a quilting or whip stitch. This can cause mucus to adhere to the suture material and cause crusting and mucus build up in the nose. By this time most of the suture should be dissolved but I have seen bits of suture persist this long and cause this problem. Sometimes during turbinate reduction the turbinates are cauterized and this can injure the lining of the turbinates and cause the same crusting problem and mucus build up. I find the best solution is frequent nasal saline rinses, up to 4 times a day. Rarely a perforation develops in the septum and again, mucus problems develop. Have your surgeon examine your nose to see if any of the above can be addressed.

Dr.Brace

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon