Do mummy makeovers with small implants and minimum skin removal but with diastasis recti surgery have, on average, a shorter recovery time? Much appreciated Alex
Do Mommy Makeovers with Smaller Implants and Minimum Skin Removal but with Recti Correction Have a Shorter Recovery?
Doctor Answers 5
Less Surgery Usually Means a Faster Recovery but not always
In general, the less surgery done the faster the recovery. i am however impressed that most mommy makeover patients are motivated and recover relatively fast. Smaller implants and minimal skin removal perhaps will result in a shorter recovery time but not that significantly in my experience.
Recovery after Mommy Makeover Surgery?
Thank you for the question.
It is very difficult to predict how any individual patient's recovery time will progress. “Minimal skin removal with diastasis recti repair" is not necessarily associated with a shorter recovery time. The discomfort associated with breast and abdominal surgery is often associated with the “muscle work” done (sub muscular breast implant placement and repair of the abdominal wall diastasis). Also, how the patient does after surgery will depend greatly on the patient's general disposition (glass half-full or glass half empty personality traits).
A few additional words of advice may be helpful to you after you undergo major surgery with significant emotional and physical recovery:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this helps.
Recovery slightly longer for mommy makeover
Any time multiple procedures are performed, the recovery is slightly longer. Length of recovery is also dependent on the patient's attitude, pain tolerance and the types of surgery performed.
You might also like...
"Mommy Makeover" is a general term which usually implies some type of breast rejuvenating procedure (such as implants and/or lift) and an abdominal procedure (such as lipo or tummy tuck). The specific procedures are really dependent on the patient's anatomy and their goals and expectations. Additionally, the recovery is dependent on the patient. Of course, the more extensive the surgery, the more the recovery... However, most people are usually back to their normal activities in 1 to 2 weeks.
Mommy makeover recovery
When doing a tummy tuck and breast surgery (aug, lift, or reduction) together as a mommy makeover, the length of the recovery is entirely based on the pain from the tummy tuck and this is based on the degree of muscle laxity and tightening you need. Also, the personality of the patient is critical as the calm and positive thinking person always does best.