Mommy Makeover Recovery, Scarring and Aftercare?

I am 7 months post gained a drastic 70 pounds with my pregnancy. Although I was able to lose the weight, I am left with a pregnancy pooch, flabby skin, no more boobs and tons of stretch marks. My main concerns are the pain level, recovery time, scarring, and aftercare procedures. Also, is there a recommended weight range one must sustain in order to proceed? Currently, I am 23, 5'5 and 155 pounds.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Congratulations on losing that weight!  It is not easy.  Recovery from a mommy makeover does not need to be an arduous process.  If a NO DRAIN tummy tuck is combined with a rapid recovery protocol you can have a very easy recovery without using any narcotics.  I have added a video that explains all of this for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Scar Management

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 

Scar care after tummy tuck

Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover tummy tuck breast augmentation

Hi,

No need to trash yourself about your body contours.  They are improved with several hours of a combination procedure that gives you the mommy makeoverr and the new confidence.  Your weight is fine and do not worry about the loss of volume of the breasts or shape.  That is easily approached.

Find the best plastic surgeon who does A LOT of body contouring.  This is a must in order to get these procedures right.  The beauty is in the details so you want a very detailed ps to get it all right the first time.  I noticed you did not mention liposucton but I am a big believer in liposuction enhancing any body and breast contouring.  There is a "WOW" factor that would be nice and look for someone who can see it in you.

Candidates for Mommy Makeovers

Mommy makeovers can include breast augmentation and breast lift and tummy tuck as well as liposuction.  At 5'5", 155 lbs, you are likely a good candidate.  Most patients should take at least a week off of work with 4 to 6 weeks before strenuous activity.  The best thing to do to get an idea of scarring is to visit websites and look at before and after photos.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

Concerns with Mommy Makeover

All your concerns are legitimate and should be addressed by your surgeon at the consultation. There are techniques to improve pain and scarring, but there is no way to have a tummy tuck without experiencing some down time, discomfort and incisions. In our practice, we use the On Q pain pump and many patients stay overnight for 1 or 2 days. This goes a long way to manage pain and make the experience more comfortable. I also recommend closure of the incision with Prineo-Dermabond and Quill sutures. I rely on this technique and patients have been highly satisfied with the results of scars.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Congratulations on your wieght loss.  Its seems that you are at a very good weight for Mommy Makeover surgery, with tummy tuck and breast augmentation/breast lift.  For most patients, the recovery time is about 2 weeks.  Pain is well controlled with pain medicine, and for most patients is only significant for the first few days. Your plastic surgeon will advise you as to the timing of resuming different activities.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

At 5 5, 155lb your BMI is 25. You are alomost at your ideal body weight.

The closer you are to your ideal body weight the better the results and the less the risk.

With Tummy Tuck there is some discomfort that can be controled with pain pump and pain medication. The breast is the same, matbe less pain if the implant is above the muscle.

Recovery is about 2-3 weeks. As for post operative care you need to follow the surgeons protocol

Mommy Makeover Recovery Concerns?

Congratulations on your successful weight loss after pregnancy. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for Tommy took surgery. You are wise to reach a long-term stable weight ( no specific weight range)  that you are comfortable with prior to proceeding with surgery.

Your plastic surgeon will have aftercare instructions for you.  I will list some of the advice I give my patients who are about to undergo mommy makeover surgery;  hopefully this is helpful to you.

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.