Mommy makeover recovery with little help?

I live alone. Getting mommy makeover (mini TT without muscle repair + lift with implant). I'm staying over night at the recovery center and then friends will stop by to help but is it enough? How much help do you need day 2 -7? Do you need someone there all the time?

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

Healing after a Mommy Makeover will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.  The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover Recovery Help

The first night is the most important, but it would be good to have someone on standby if you need help the following days. If my patients do not have help, we offer a surgical companion or nurse to stay with them the first 2 days after surgery, this may be a great service for you to look into. Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon for their recommendations. 

Planning for recovery after mommy makeover

The simple answer is follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations, but the important thing is to have someone with you the first night (which you are doing.) After you go home keep in mind that you will not be able to drive if you are on pain medications so plan ahead for what you need. Two things that I believe improve the recovery process are Exparel so you don't need to take as much pain medication and are able to be more active, and the progressive tension suture technique so that the drain tube can be removed sooner.

Richard Baxter, MD

Since you are having a mini TT without muscle repair, you will not need as much assistance as if you had muscle work done. I believe you should have people with you the first several days at least and will find that you are doing better by day 7.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover and Help

You will need help for a couple of days. See if one of your friends will stay with you for a couple of days after you return home. Otherwise, your surgeon should have a list of nurse/ caregivers that stay with patients after surgery. It would be very wise to invest in this.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD