Mommy Makeover or Individual Surgery?

I am a 35 year old mother of 4. We are done having children and am 5'7" and 180 pounds. I do not plan on having the surgery until I get to a more ideal weight. I cannot decide if a Mommy Makeover is the best solution for me. I am wanting my breasts to be higher on my chest and a flatter stomach. I would appreciate any input as to whether the Mommy Makeover is the best avenue for me to pursue when locating a surgeon.

Mommy makeover timing and options

If you are contemplating multiple procedures such as your breast and abdomen, I would consider doing them at the same time as you then experience one anesthetic, one recovery.  The combination does not significantly impact on your recovery.  These are procedures commonly performed together, often with the addition of liposuction of the flanks or love handles,  If you are anticipating losing weight,  I would like you to initiate that program of eating healthy and exercise and then at the time of the procedure, you take a time out for your surgery and then resume your established routine afterwards.  Additional weight loss only complements your result.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Options...

The mommy makeover is one of the most popular operations performed by plastic surgeons.  The procedure is a combination of cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction and abdominoplasty.  It has been designed to correct changes that occur normally with pregnancy.

There are multiple advantages in performing these procedures in combination.  These include an improved overall result, lowered cost and a single recovery.  Patients typically report increased self-esteem, self-confidence, self-image and an overall improvement in the quality of their lives.

It’s reasonable to proceed with your plan to lose additional weight.  Once you’ve accomplished this goal, your history suggests that you would be an excellent candidate for this type pf surgery.

If you’re considering mommy makeover surgery it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Mommy Makeover Candidate

It sounds as though the #mommymakeover is exactly what you're looking for!  Once you have a lower BMI and are closer to your goal #weight, you will be a great candidate for a #tummytuck which will give you tighter abdomen muscles and a flat tummy.  A #mastopexy or #augmentation/mastopexy combo will give your #breasts the perkiness you're looking for.

Breast lift and tummy tuck may be suitable

A mommy makeover is not a technical term, and is really just marketing lingo for one or more procedures that are designed to improve a woman's appearance after having children. You can decide on what to have as part of your "mommy makeover". Since you've expressed concerns about your tummy and breasts, then you may want to consider a breast lift and tummy tuck. The breast lift will give you perkier breasts and a tummy tuck will flatten your stomach by removing excess fat and skin, as well as tighten separated abdominal muscles if necessary. These two procedures can be done in a  single surgery.

A Mommy Makeover Can Be Life Changing

In carefully selected patients, Mommy Makeover surgery will achieve dramatic correction of sagging breasts and stretched out abdomens.    Following four pregnancies it is likely that your breast skin and abdominal skin has been stretched out and lost its pre-pregnancy elasticity.   The dual breast and abdominal surgery will safely allow the correction of your breast shape simultaneous with the repair of your abdominal core muscles and removal of excess abdominal skin.   To achieve the best result, you should be close to your ideal weight.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon that performs these surgeries in a certified operating facility.   Make sure that you have a plan for the first week of your recovery as you will need help getting in and out of bed for several days.   You won't feel like dancing for the first two days, but a well-executed Mommy Makeover can be life changing.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Mommy Makeover

Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your options.  If you have no abdominal issues, then just focus on the breast.  You can choose between gel and saline.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

The first step would be to reach your ideal weight and be stable at that weight before having surgery because if you have surgery and your weight changes, it will change the results of your surgery.  Whether you perform the breast and tummy procedure together or separately is your choice.  Most of my patients decide to do the surgeries at the same time because they only have to go to the operating room once, one recovery, less financially.  Some of my patients don't have the recovery time for the tummy tuck so they do the breast procedure first and then come back for the tummy tuck when they have more time to recovery. It's really patient specific.  Take a look at before and after photos and research your surgeon to make sure they can help you achieve your goals.  You are doing the right thing by losing the weight first.. Good luck!

Mommy makeover or individual procedures

The decision to do multiple procedures in one stage or in several stages should be made in consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  In my practice, I typically do more than one procedure in each operation, but not always.  It depends on the patient's health, the size of the procedures, and the experience of the surgeon.   I have published several plastic surgery journal articles on this topic that you may view on my website.

David Stoker, MD

Mommy needs TLC

try yoga to lose the weight and really streengthen your core. who knows you may even get into the spiritual stuff. as far as surgery goes, after you get to your ideal weight the proper procedures should be obvious and done well by almost any ABMS plastic surgeon (board certified by palstic surgery). just remember you don't have to do it all together and really tax your recovery reserves and your families patience. I prefer a staged approach, can you tell? It makes more sense to me, the two operations generally are "fighting" each other. one goes up the other goes down, right? do the more important one first and then recover completely and do the second one if still needed 6 months to a year later, I find most end up needing only one of the two to be happy. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

If you are relatively young and in good health and not extremely overweight there is no reason you can't combine procedures.

David E. Kim, MD