How Long Until I Can Return to Work After a Mommy Makeover?

I Am Having a Mommy Makeover 6/13. I Don't Have a Desk Job..I am having breast lift, augmentation and a tummy tuck this coming June. I work in a factory, in a service job. I do some reaching for files, bending for files, and lift around 10 to 15 lbs about 10 times a work day, and very little walking. I am only able to take 3 weeks off of work, I am wondering if I can recover by then.

Don't rush return to strenuous activity after mommy makeover

For most activities you should be able to resume after about 2-3 weeks, but after a tummy tuck you will need to be careful about heavy lifting or strenuous activity for about 6 weeks if there was a muscle repair done. It is similar to a hernia repair which studies show takes about 6 weeks before stress can be borne by the repair.

Returning to work after a mommy makeover

3 weeks will likely be adequate time for recuperation.   You still may be tired and sore, and you might need to ask for a little help with heavier lifting (or ask for a return to work light duty), but for the most part I would anticipate that 3 weeks is enough time for the type of job you are describing.   Best wishes for your surgery! Dr. Michelle Spring

Recovery from mommy makeover

Lifting 10-15 pounds will be possible three weeks after a breast augmentation and tummy tuck (mommy makeover). If you are experiencing severe pain still after three weeks, you may need to request more time off work. Consult with your plastic surgeon for more specific guidelines.

William Bruno, MD

Breast augmentation and lift with a tummy tuck typically requires 6 weeks before strenuous activity can be resumed.   It would be very nice if you could get alternative duties on the job until you are healed.   I have found that many jobs will have other options for postsurgical patients.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Return to work after Mommy Makeover

Three weeks is probably enough time to recover from a breast augmentation/lift and a tummy tuck, but it may be cutting it close.  My main concern is the potential for pain and prolonged fatigue with your repeated lifting of 10-15 lbs.  You may want to inquire if you can be given "light duty" for the first week back to work.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Mark Schwartz, MD

Returning To Work after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

I think it is best to prepare for a “recovery”  of 4 weeks after tummy tuck  surgery. Descriptions of recovery times shorter than this,  in my opinion, is over-promising. Of course, every patient's recovery experience is different; your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to your specific occupation. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing ,whether or not you are experiencing any complications,  and exactly what type of activity you are returning to.

I do have another word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively.
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

Return to work

I would discuss this with your surgeon, In my past, return to work depends on your recovery and your type of employment. In my past, I gave the patient atleast 10 days off for a non physical labor job. If you have to lift heavy boxes for your employment, you will need more time. All the best.

3 weeks is enough time to recover from tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. 3 weeks should be enough time for you to start lifting 10lbs. Having breast surgery along with it may increase the amount of time that  it takes for your stamina to return. As a result you might still be a little tired. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD