2 part-question - Dog ears, indentation/swelling? (photos)

My Dr did a fantastic job and I am thrilled with my results so far!Only 5 wks post op of MM(TT/BL/BA/lipo of flanks/back) so I am obviously still swollen.Dr made the long incision,but is there bulge on both ends of the incision?I know I may have contour irregularities but my left is straighter w/indent. 1.Will I have DE or is this still swelling and 2.Is the indent from the swelling and get better? I know both of these issues can be corrected later. Maybe I should have done a lower body lift?THX

I am concerned about this swelling

Congratulations on your result! I would hang in there - you are only 5 weeks out and will still see substantial changes over the oncoming few months up to a year. And of course - I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon as he/she is in the best position to comment about the need or lack-thereof for body lift, etc. Good luck!

Dog Ear?

Thank you very much for your question.

Based on the pictures, it's not obvious that a dog ear is present.  This may just be swelling.  You're only 5 weeks out, so I would expect that swelling to continue to decrease.  I typically take my postoperative pics at 3 months for exactly that reason.  Continue to follow with your plastic surgeon and follow their recommendations.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Mommy make-over - will the dog ear require correction

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Wonderful that you are so happy with your surgeon and your surgery.
  • The photo suggests that you have swelling - 
  • A true dog ear doesn't show up in the photo.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Dog Ears, Indentation/Swelling Concerns After a Mommy Makeover

Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery.

Dog ears after abdominoplasty?

It is common to have small irregularities at the ends of an abdominoplasty incision. Sometimes these are dog ears which need revision in the future but often, post operative swelling can make them look significantly worse and they settle down over time. 5 weeks is a relatively early post-operative time frame. I think your pictures indicate a good chance for resolution without revision. Time and scar maturation with reduction of swelling will all help. Contour asymmetry is also common after liposuction. This too may be related to swelling and should improve with time. Your final contour will depend on how much fat was left in these areas. This ultimate result will not be visible for several more weeks to a few months. I am optimistic that both of these issues will improve for you over time. 

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

Assessing swelling and results 5 weeks after surgery

It looks like you and your surgeon have done a really nice job getting you the results you were looking for.  From your photos at 5 weeks postop, it's still too early to tell if any of the contour irregularities or bulges you see now will be an issue long term.  As time goes on and your swelling resolves, your shape will continue to evolve.  

Keep checking in with your surgeon, and if any of your concerns now are still an issue in a few months, he/she should be happy to address them with you.

Hope this helps, and take care.
Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at the end of and abdominoplasty incision can mimic a dog ear.

I don't see anything at present that could not be explained by swelling. This is not a definite dog ear and my impression is that the prominence will fade away a swelling does.