Is a Mommy Make over with Butt Lift Recommended and Whats the Recovery Time?

I plan on getting a mommy makeover (TT, Breast Augmentation lipo of flanks and thighs and a Butt lift (fat transferred to buttocks)out of the country. Is it ok to get all these procedure at the same time? What is the recovery time and how soon would I be able to travel? Im 30 yrs. old 5'3 and weigh 135lbs.

Traveling Out of the Country for a Mommy Makeover

This is a very good question. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States. 

MM and BBL

It’s definitely possible to perform a Brazilian butt lift in combination with mommy makeover surgery. Unfortunately the recovery following this combination can be extremely difficult. For this reason, most plastic surgeons prefer staging these procedures.

The origin of the problem is simple, tummy tuck patients should lie on their backs following surgery, while Brazilian butt lift patients should lie on their abdomens following surgery. This is obviously a difficult proposition when both procedures are performed together.

In contrast, performing these procedures simultaneously offers several advantages. These include synergy, less expense and one recovery.

For these reasons, it’s important to consider each patient on an individual basis. No two patients are ever exactly alike. They have different anatomic findings, aesthetic goals and social situations. It’s therefore important to tailor the surgical approach to the patient’s needs.

Medical Tourism for Mommy Makeover can be Dangerous

Medical tourism is fraught with possible danger, so am unable to answer your questions without knowing the training of the surgeon, facilities, post operative care, etc, etc.

Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices.
However, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma.
Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit. It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their overseas surgery.

See the below links for further information. My recommendation is to stick with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Mommy Makeover

A procedure out of the country is not recommended.  One most be extremely cautious in electing to have surgery out of the states. There are a lot of good doctors in the world but U.S. doctors are hesitant at times to take on corrective surgeries involving this factor. 

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Safety

Be very careful in selecting your surgeon when seeking a mommy makeover.  It is a big operation and I would not recommend that you take chances just to save a little money.  I would prefer that you go to the best surgeon you can find and a facility with the highest standards for safety.  Perhaps do fewer procedures to stay within your budget.

David Stoker, MD

Multiple procedures in another country

Although I think you will find different opinions about doing these procedures at the same time in the united states, it is in my opinion a safe combination if done on the right patient and by an experienced plastic surgeon.  Doing these procedures abroad is more a question of safety of doing the procedure abroad as opposed to the combination of procedures.  Complications in multiple areas will be a harrowing experience abroad and revisions, especially if they require difficult revisions to be performed can be a troublesome experience if your surgeon is out of the country.

All the best

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Having a mommy makeover with buttock lift out of the country

The first consideration of having multiple procedures is the total length of the surgery. If you are planning on having a TT, Breast augmentation and buttock lift (fat transfer) you will be under general anesthesia for at least 6 hours, which increases your risk of developing a blood clot (DVT) in your legs. You may want to consider breaking up these procedures and having one (breast aug) done on a separate day. It will also be very difficult for you to move around and position yourself if you have all procedures done at once. I strongly recommend staying in a hospital or aftercare facility for a few days after surgery for close observation.

With regard to having surgery in another country, you are taking a risk of not having close follow up with your surgeon and air travel becomes an issue as the chance of forming a blood clot increases with air travel. You may want to plan on staying in that country for a few weeks to recover and to have your incisions evaluated by your surgeon.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Medical tourism

There are really multiple questions in your post:

• should you get a tummy tuck or what type of tummy tuck do you need
  • should you get breast augmentation or augmentation with an adjunctive breast procedure
  • should you get liposuction of the thighs and flanks and/or liposuction of other areas with transfer of the fat to the buttocks
  • what is the recovery time
  • should you get the surgery out of the country
  • what are the travel/activity restrictions associated with surgery

Without seeing photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to say what type of abdominoplasty you would need or if you should have any adjunctive procedures to the breast at the time of augmentation. You need to use the exact same diligence in choosing a surgeon out of the country as you would inside the country. That surgeon should examine you face to face before finalizing what procedures he/she will do. You will need to allow sufficient time between arriving and surgery as well as between surgery and leaving.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Out of town surgery for Mommy Makeover

Undergoing too many procedures at once increases the risks of blood clots and other complications. The most important thing you can do for yourself after surgery is walk around, and if you have too many parts operated on at once you will be too sore to be effectively mobile.

I am not a fan of cosmetic surgery tourism, particularly if it involves foreign travel:

1) not all countries have the same blood banking protections we have;

2) complications can and do arise.  Your access to recourse can be limited when you are in a foreign country;

3) touch ups are often needed: will you travel back and forth to see your foreign surgeon? At what cost?

4) foreign physician credentials can be harder to investigate than those in the US.

In America, when all else fails, we have a robust tort system for redress, a system not available in other countries.

Caveat Emptor!

Safety is number consideration for cosmetic surgery!

Several Rules of thumb;

1- Keep cosmetic surgery under 4 hours. If you want more done - do it in more than one procedure.

2- American physicians are better regulated and better trained than physicians from many parts of the world (some places are fine, but how can you be sure?).

Robert M. Freund, MD