Should I have a lift? My PS thinks I should (Photo)

I want to look large but not "FAKE". I've had to BIG beautiful babies that I breast fed. My PS has agreed to my request to NOT do a lift. Just the TT and We are doing under the muscle 400cc saline Implants filled to 450cc. (Whatever that means) He and my nurse say that I will most likely, eventually want a lift, but with my goals in mind, I will be happy. I'm afraid that I'm going to regret not getting the lift in the long run. Do you think I will be able to get away with just the implant??

You may be ok without a lift and you could always get a lift later

It sounds like you do not want a breast lift.  It is hard to know for sure what the result will be given the photo and current information but there is a reasonable chance that you will be happy with a breast augmentation alone.  The good news is that you can always come back and get get a breast lift later.  There are no bridges burned in doing breast augmentation first and then a breast lift at a later date.

Dr. Remus Repta

Lift at the time of a breast augmentation

It is difficult to answer your question without better photographs.  If your nipple is below the crease behind the breast and there is greater than 3 cm of breast below the crease then it is possible that you would need a breast lift.  Your plan to have only the breast augmentation first may very well give the answer of whether or not you need a breast lift.  

Should I have a lift? My PS thinks I should

Very difficult to give you useful advice without better photographs. Consider posting frontal and side breast photographs with your arms by your side. In regards to the outcome of the breast surgery, make sure that you communicate your goals carefully. For example “large, but not fake” may mean different things to different people. I find that the use of goal pictures and/or computer imaging are very helpful during the communication process. I look forward to seeing an additional post from you if you so choose. Best wishes.

Whether or Not to Include a Breast Lift with Implants during a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy.

With both implant types there are choices when it comes to size, shape, and profile. The criteria best to suit you will be discussed in full detail at your breast augmentation consultation. 

Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Lift

Even though the pictures are limited, it appears that your nipple position is relatively good and don't have too much ptosis.  You can do the lift later on if you are not happy and financially won't be too bad.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

You can always get a lift later.

It’s hard for me to say from the photo whether a lift would be absolutely necessary for you. If you feel hesitant about the lift because of the extra incisions specifically, I recommend looking at some before-and-after photos of breast lift patients dated a year or more after surgery. Most of the time, the incisions heal up to nearly invisible. However, if you’re uncomfortable with the idea of a lift at all, there’s no reason you can’t proceed with the rest of the mommy makeover (breast implants and tummy tuck) without a lift. You can certainly schedule the lift later on if it’s still necessary after your augmentation.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

It's difficult to say from the photo you posted, but depending on the results you are hoping to achieve, you may be just fine with a breast augmentation alone.  I'm sure your surgeon knows in better detail what your expectations are and is just letting you know that based on skin quality, genetics, weight, etc, you may need a lift in the future.  Remember, you can always do the lift later and typically, you can use the same implants.  See how you like your results and go from there.  You may love them with the augmentation alone and have saved yourself from the scars of a lift.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

Women do not like lifts because of the ugly vertical scars of the traditional techniques, nipple numbness and the inability to breast feed.For this reason, a new technique was developed called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM.Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Through the same incision, implants can be placed.Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result.Frequent causes of dissatisfaction is over implantation and not performing a simultaneous lift when needed.400 cc implants are large, will not fit retro-pectoral, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Hi. In my humble opinion, you do not need a breast lift but would do very well with a breast augmentation. I would perform it through a periareolar approach using silicone gel implants in a sub muscular position in the neighborhood of 350cc with a moderate plus profile. Good luck

Should I have a lift?

You will likely be just fine without a lift, but it is difficult to see with the picture that you posted. A large number of patients are what I call "tweeners" where they may get a modest benefit from a lift, but then they may not really want the associated scarring and long term implications of the lift. This is a personal value judgement. Most of my "tweener" patients are satisfied with an augment alone, with only a handful deciding to go with a lift down the road. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon