Dark Brown Mole, Recently Changed?

I am 64 years old and first noticed what appears to be a mole about a year ago. It was dark brown in colour. However it has recently changed a bit. It now has some white speckles on top of it and there is what I might describe as a very faint and irregular light brown halo around it now. The mole itself is quite small (just under 5millimetres) and roughly an oval shape. What could this be? Thanks in advance.

Doctor Answers 4

Changing mole

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for evaluation and possible biopsy. 

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

How to evaluate a changing mole

To be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Changing Mole: What Should You Do

Your best option is to see a board-certified dermatologist to evaluate the pigmented lesion and see if it needs to be biopsied. If the doctor is certain that it is benign, nothing further is needed. If the doctor thinks the lesion could be a melanoma, then he/she should excise the lesion and process the tissue so that it can be evaluated microscopically. The ABCDs of melanoma are helpful but there is also an "E" to this ABCD. The E stands for evolving, and since your pigmented lesion is changing, it should be evaluated by a dermatologist. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Mole is changing

First, I'm glad you are keeping an eye on it and clearly using the ABCDEs of examination. I would be hard pressed from your description to just guess as to what it is - could be a normal mole, could have some abnormalities to it, etc. Your best bet will be to find a dermatologist and have a small biopsy done as a shave excision. This will remove the small area, hopefully the whole thing, and not even require stitches. This way it can be sent into a pathology lab for testing and verification on what it is and why it's changing.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.