Mole Removal on Face?

I have had this mole for as long as I remember. Over the last 10 years (I'm 27 now) I have noticed that it has become raised. I would like to have it removed for various reasons. What options should I consider for mole removal? Should I see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon? What kind of scarring should I expect after it has been removed?

Doctor Answers 4

Mole removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Mole removal - a few options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You would definitely be well served by seeing a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for evaluation and removal of the mole on your left cheek. Close inspection will likely reveal that it's benign, but it should be looked at in the office under good lighting to be certain. If you decide you'd rather have it gone, you have a couple of options:

  1. Shave removal - this would shave it flat, and the scar would likely be the same size as the mole, only flatter. This causes the least scarring, but the mole might come back in months to years
  2. Single excision - this would involve cutting the mole out and stitching it up in one procedure. If performed by a good dermatologic surgeon, the scar line would likely heal well, would be 1-2 mm wide, and about 3 times as long as the mole is currently wide. Most scars on this area of the cheek heal well, but you would always have the scar as evidence that something had been done (and an opportunity to tell a good story).
  3. Serial excision - this is probably what I'd recommend if the mole is benign, but you want it off. While it might take 2 or 3 rounds of minor surgery, spaced 1-2 months apart, to completely remove it, the scar would be much smaller.... 1-2 mm wide and just slightly longer than the length of the current mole.

P.S. if you need a good referral in the Bay Area, I would highly recommend the dermatologic surgeons at UCSF.

Be well,

Dr. P

Excision of facial mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Excision of the facial mole can be completed by any skilled professional with a layered repair. Excision of the lesion itself is the first course of action. The specimen should be submitted for histologic evaluation. Subsequent additional surgery may be needed depending on the results of the pathology. Expect that the scar may be red for up to 2 years.

Facial Mole Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Either a Plastic surgeon or a Dermatological surgeon could deal with your problem mole. The extent of the scarring would depend on the surgical technique used and direction of the scar placement. Despite the low likelihood that this is more than a pigmented nevus, there is always a small chance it could be malignant. Therefore, the mole should be sent to be reviewed by a Pathologist.

Dr. P. Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.