How can I improve my side profile? (Photos)

I hate my side profile and I'm not sure I can even it out and improve it.

My recommendation: lower the bump, bring the nose back closer to the face, add a small chin implant. See the morph I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_sweetcassandra.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I lowered the little bump on the bridge of your nose. I brought the tip and the entire nose back closer to your face. I elevated the very tip of your nose where it droops a little. And then I added a chin implant: only a small-ish one, because you don't have a large face, and it doesn't need to be a huge chin.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant to improve side profile

Hi there, thank you for your photos and question. To improve your profile and facial harmony, you should consider a chin implant. In general, when you look at the profile if you draw a line straight down from where the base of your nose meets the upper lip to the chin, that line should almost should touch the front on your chin (or fall 2 to 3 mm behind). In your case, the chin is slightly week. I am including a link that shows the line I am talking about (look at figure 15-1). In your case, I think the position of the chin by itself can improve your profile. Your can also consider doing a slight reduction of the bridge of your nose. I would recommend a computer simulation to better determine what you are looking for. Hope this helps! Good luck

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Balance profile

I think a conservative rhinoplasty and a chin implant may give you a much more balanced look.  There are always improvements that can be made for a more harmonious face.  Don't be so hard on yourself.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Profile improvement

You profile can be improved with a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation.  In addition, you're right ear is protruding compared to your left ear.  Although this is not part of your profile, it does not contribute to facial asymmetry on front view.  The right ear can be corrected with otoplasty, or ear pinback.  Good luck and I hope this helps!

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Profileplasty

The biggest deficiency in your facial side profile is your short chin. It is far more recessive than whether your nose is just a bit long. Computer imaging would demonstrate the potential benefits of chin augmentation. Given the shortness of your chin, your young age and the need for some vertical chin lengthening, you may consider a sliding genioplasty over a chin implant for your chin augmentation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

How can I improve my side profile?

An artistically designed and performed rhinoplasty with placement of a chin implant will provide a lovely aesthetic improvement in your profile.  Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon to have a face to face consultation and review of photos of other patients.  Enjoy your results!

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for a more feminine and attractive profile.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for a more feminine and attractive profile.  these will give your face better balance as well. Choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural looking noses and not the overdone look. Do not rely on imaging but rather results. 

Improving the balance and symmetry of the side profile

Thank you Cassandra for your pictures and question.  When I reviewed your pictures, there were 2 things which I noticed can be enhanced to achieve greater symmetry and balance of your profile: the first is your chin.  Your chin is slightly weak in comparison to your nose and lower lip and augmenting this structure will greatly improve your profile.  the second is your nose, it's slightly more prominent than the chin.  I would feminize the profile and tip of your nose with a slight reduction in the tip height and fullness.  I hope that helps and best of luck!  (We do offer complimentary consultations if you would like to schedule a consultation.)

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

How can I improve my side profile?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty or chin implant to improve their profile. They are elective procedures and only you can determine if your nasal and chin features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and/or chin and whether it would be worthwhile. Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Based on the photographs you have posted, I believe you would benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon