Flabby or swollen after post op arm lift day 17. Any suggestions? (photos)

17 days post op arm lift. My arms looks as though they are starting to hang/flabby again. Bruising going away. Some pain but mostly tender on the incision area. Some hardness near incision (both arms). Incision is heeling well. I wear the compression garment almost 24/7. I might be impatient and want to see improving quick results. Question..... Are my arms very swollen or will I need a revision down the road? How is my progress......

Arm lift - still looks flabby at day 17

Thank you for asking about your arm  lift.
  • You appear to be healing well.
  • You are still very swollen -
  • You truly need to wait a full six months to know your final result -
  • Just give it time and make sure your surgeon knows of your concerns.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Flabby following arm lift

Hello and thank you for your question. There is a small chance that this is due to swelling. I'm leaning toward to conservative excision, which is better than too an aggressive excision but not what yiu wanted to here. I believe that only a repeat arm lift will give you the results that you want. Discuss the situation with your ps but give a few months for the swelling to subside.Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Too Soon To Judge

Still too soon to judge your results.  You need to wait a couple months and continue wearing the compression garment.

Thomas A. Leach, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after arm lift

try wearing your arm compression sleeves and make sure they fit you properly. If the scars are getting painful or raised you may be developing keloids or hypertrophic scarring which needs treatment by your surgeon.

Rojan Amjadi, MD

Insufficient Brachioplasty

Hello, Your surgeon erred on the side of safety. It appears that more skin/tissue could have been removed. Also, you have a posteriorly positioned scar, which doesn't allow for recontouring the posterior armpit/arm transition. Once you have healed  you should go on a few second opinion consultations with ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons expert in body contouring surgery to discuss a revision. My preference would be to try to convert you to a medially based incision, allowing for better contouring and further tightening from chest to elbow. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Arm Lift/ Brachioplasty/Skin Tightening/ Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz