Is this considered a botched tummy tuck? Does it look like he did muscle repair? Is it fixable by another doctor? (photo)

TT was done May 1st of this yr, at my consultations it was told to me that I would have a flat stomach & that my incision would be in bikini area with my cut being done underneath my c section scar, on the day of surgery he marked me underneath my c section scar. On day 2, I noticed he did not cut as we dicussed and agreed on, I have hard nodules in the middle part of my stomach since day #1, he says he canot pull down anymore or I'll have to get a skin graft, I look way worse in person :-(

Inadequate tummy tuck

Thanks for your picture. This is not an acceptable result. Wait 3 months and get second opinions on revision. 

TT issues

I am sorry to read about your disappointment in the outcome of your TT. You would probably get better advice on this forum with photos that show the entire abdomen, and that include before pictures. 

It is surprising to me that the incision marked in the preop area was not used. This is usually the first incision made (other than sometimes the navel, which is a fixed point incision without many options).  I find that the incision can pretty much always be made low.  The consequence can be that the little circle around the navel does not always come out with the excess skin and would therefore need a short vertical incision to close. To me that is better than having the entire large incision higher than desired. 

Based on the info here, I couldn't comment on whether a muscle repair was done or not.  Again, before and after side views would make it possible to offer some form of comment. 

The issues that I can see on the current photos can be improved, but how much and what would be needed I can't tell from these photos alone.

Thanks for your question. All the best. 

Tummy tuck .....good or not so good

From the pictures, it looks as though it could have been better. I can't tell if any muscle work was  done since you pre-op  photos are needed. The good news is the there is much that can be done to improve the transition between the c-section scar and the TT scar.  I think that if there was not the  visible  bulge present, you'd be much happier. Repairing this is not  difficult. Check with your PS.

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Question

The best person to answer your questions would be your plastic surgeon. The most common reason for placing the scar high is when the skin doesn't look like it will stretch enough. If the surgeon made the incision too low, you might have had a vertical scar extending all the way up to the belly button.

Sometimes hard nodules can indicate that there was sluggish blood flow. Lacking a robust blood supply, the fat in the area can scar and become firm and lumpy. This might be why your surgeon is reluctant to pull the skin down anymore, since that will further stress the blood supply. If the tissue doesn't get enough blood, it dies. That's probably why you were told about a possible skin graft.

Since there are so many unknowns, it would be best to see your plastic surgeon to get the answers.

Not getting the result you expected can be difficult emotionally; speaking with your surgeon is important in resolving those feelings. If the result can be improved, that's great news, but even if it can't, just understanding why the surgical plan was altered can help with the frustration you must be feeling. 

I wish you the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Is this considered a botched tummy tuck? Does it look like he did muscle repair? Is it fixable by another doctor?

Without a full abdominal photo and preop photos it is hard to make specific recommendations. From the limited views, it is not the best result. If you agreed to a certain incision placement, that should've been carried as requested to take out the old C-section scar. Your pubic area wasn't treated, nor were your hips, waist and bra rolls. Although that might not have been part of the discussion with your surgeon, I believe if one does not address the whole midsection in the body sculpting process the results are similar to yours. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion. Good luck.

TT revision

The abdominal flap that was developed during surgery is thicker than the tissue in your pubic area. This can be corrected with liposuction. Any residual excess skin can be treated later or sometimes at the time of the revision. Since you are more than 3 months post op, you are a good candidate for these procedures. I don't see a full view of your abdomen to comment about any bulge in the center of your belly but that could be corrected as well. please provide additional views. Also, please review prior results of a surgeon that performs high volume of TT cases and the comments of prior patients.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Thank you for the photos and I am sorry for your disappointment with the results of your TT. Based on the photos I feel your result can be improved consideraly but that would necessitate an in person examination to be certain. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Problem with abdominoplasty

I agree with Dr. Gottlieb's statement that it's surprising that the preop marking was not used.    Usually you want the incision to be below the clothing line.   You may not have enough skin remaining to move the scar downward, it's hard to tell by the photos.  You are still only a few months since surgery and your contour should improve; however the placement of the scar will not.    You may benefit from liposuction after 6 months to help improve the contour if there is residual fullness above the incision.   Discuss this with your surgeon but remember there will be significant improvement over the next several months.

Tummy tuck revsion

Sorry to hear about your experience.  Most tummy tuck results that need improvement can be improved with a tummy tuck revision.  The type of tummy tuck revision and what it entails will depend from individual to individual.  Without seeing your full torso I cannot determine how much skin laxity remains.  A photo sitting down may also be helpful with this.  In my experience, I have not had to skin graft a tummy tuck revision.  Worse case scenario, a tissue expander can be used in the upper abdomen to expand the abdominal skin and soft tissue if needed (rarely).

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Poorly posted photos, many many written complaints about your surgeon and experience here on RealSelf than why have you not obtained other opinions??