How to choose a surgeon for breast augmentation?

I'm a bit overwhelmed on how to choose a surgeon for a breast augmentation surgery that I want done this year. This would be my first breast augmentation and first surgery. Im not sure what to look for besides the credentials. How many surgeons should I even go to for consultations before choosing a surgeon?

Thank you for your excellent question, and it can be intimidating starting the breast augmentation process, as the number of available surgeons is large.  I am attaching a link to the American Society of Plastic Surgery website for breast augmentation that lists some important information with regards to selecting your physician. It also allows you the option of finding a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that may help you make an easier decision. As far as the number to visit, 2-3 would be a safe number as it gives you a few options, but certainly you should seek out as many as needed until you are comfortable with your decision.  Hope this helps.  

How to choose a Plastic Surgeon

First and foremost, seek out a surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. From there you might ask for recommendations from your family doctor, or any nurses that you know in the community. This will help you find a surgeon who has a good reputation within the medical community. Schedule a consultation and see if you feel comfortable with the surgeon. Avoid anyone who tries, or has their staff try to pressure into the surgery or tries to 'sell' you additional procedures. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Always do your research!

The best way to choose a surgeon is to do your research. Read online reviews from previous patients, and view before and after photos. Check to see if your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon, and make sure surgeries are performed in a certified facility. It’s important to find a surgeon who has extensive experience specifically in breast augmentation. Although there's no set number of consultations you should attend, definitely look for a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable, and who will work closely with you from your first meeting all the way through your recovery.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Choosing A Surgeon For Breast Augmentation

The optimal way to choose a surgeon is to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in Breast Augmentation.You will need someone who is a true expert. An expert is one who is Experienced and performs Breast Augmentation surgery frequently, has Expertise in Breast Augmentation and has written about it and teaches others about Breast Augmentation, and can show you Exceptional results.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

How to choose a surgeon?

Assuming that all the credentials have been checked out and the reputation is spotless, schedule a consultation with him/her.  Find out how they manage less than satisfactory results and know what the revision policy is.  Most surgeon's won't charge your surgeon fees for revisions but there is a handful out there who feel they can do no wrong and will charge you some kind of fee because they simply cannot do anything for 'free'.  I would avoid those egomaniacs because you want someone who cares about your and what results you get as they should understand that your satisfaction is what is most important.  Oh, your surgeon should provide options and the reasons why behind them instead of telling you it their way or the  highway... take the highway as you'll be better off without them.

Curtis Wong, MD

Picking a Plastic Surgeon

Your question is a good one and something that I think should be taken very seriously.  There are some good guidelines to follow:

Board Certification by The American Board of Plastic Surgery
A practice in which he or she performs augmentation regularly, perhaps even a major part of their practice
A website gallery that shows a wide array of before and after augmentation results, including different body types, different sized implants, and even more complicated breast procedures such as augmentations with breast lifts and revision breast surgery

I think this is a great place to start.  Reputation or referrals from previous patients as well as reviews also help, but ultimately an in-person consult is a great place to begin.  Great question and good luck!

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Selecting a Surgeon to Perform your Breast Enlargement

You've asked a very good and important question.  I think you need to keep in mind that you should have a feeling of trust and comfort in the doctor whom you finally choose and you should meet as many doctors as necessary to help you find the right one.  Credentials such as ABPS Certification, membership in ASAPS and ASPS are of value and you should be pleased by the range of before and after photos that you see during your consultation.  You should never feel rushed or pressured to "sign at the dotted line" after a consultation.  Finally, I would also suggest that you ask around amongst friends and acquaintances about the doctor's reputation.  Be careful of "friends" who will hype a particular doctor because they get something in exchange for referring you!  This can be tricky to detect but you should use your instincts here too.  Good luck and enjoy your results.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

How to choose a breast augmentation surgeon?

Thank you for an excellent question.  There are many factors and variables that go into surgeon selection.  I think the most powerful indicator is a personal recommendation from a friend or family member who has undergone the procedure and had a positive experience and good results.  That being said, it is still important to make sure that that you see a board certified or board eligible plastic surgeon (not cosmetic surgeon or "facial" plastic surgeon--these are not the same thing as a true plastic and reconstructive surgeon) and preferably he or she be a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and/or American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.  You should ask about his/her experience with breast augmentation and breast surgery overall.  Sometimes you only need to see one person if you have a positive experience with the consultation and feel comfortable with the surgeon, but other women need to seek out several different opinions to find the right fit for them.  Keep in mind that if you see several different surgeons, you may get several different options/opinions.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi Brittanny,
This is a big decision, so it's normal to feel overwhelmed.  You don't have to visit more than one surgeon, it you have a good match right off the bat. Don't go for price, alone.  Here are the big things to look for:  Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if they have an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, 20-years or more might be a good gauge. Does the PS offer all three incisions? Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick recovery approach." Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.
All the best,“Dr. Joe”

Since breast augmentation is one of the most common surgeries performed, I would think you have many friends and they have friends who have undergone the surgery. A happy patient both with results and with the personality of their surgeon is a great reference. Good to see 2-3 consults, but be prepared that each will offer different advice and each will probably be right. It is as much an art form as it is science.The doctor should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not just "board certified which can mean anything) and have lots of good reviews on the internet. Remember one or two not so good reviews doesn't mean much but lack of lots of good ones is very meaningful.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD