I'm a 53 year old male that recently had a facelift with medium sub malar implants I want large will the swelling be less?

I am want to replace my recently placed medium sub malar implants with large ones. I liked the look of my face when it was more swollen after surgery. The large are 5mm bigger on each side. I hope that since the pocket has already been created that I will have less swelling for recovery time.. is this possible?

53 year old male that recently had a facelift with medium sub malar implants I want large

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.   The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.  Submalar implants do not, in my opinion, make the cheeks angular.  This instead requires malaria implants of the proper shape, size and placement.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Swelling after malar implants

I would expect swelling to be less for a couple reasons. One, you are right that the pocket is there and will only need to be enlarged a small amount to fit the larger implants. Second, you are not having a facelift with the malar implant revision, so overall, the swelling should be less and resolve sooner. Good Luck.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear old male that recently had a facelift with medium sub malar implants I want large will the swelling be less?

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you or seeing any photos. I would recommend to wait at least 6 months prior to second procedure. You should discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Swelling and healing after surgery

Thank you for the question. Without photos, I can't say for sure what is happening. However, with cheek (malar or submalar) implants, the soft tissues are lifted off the bone. This causes a fair amount of swelling. As it goes down, you will notice less overall midface volume. However, there is likely some tissue remodeling that will occur in the weeks/months after the surgery. This will involve the soft tissues conforming around the implant and the creation of a "capsule" of scar tissue. Until this is complete, it is too early to say if the implants are correctly sized. Best of luck and take care.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift with submalar implants - now want a larger implant

Thank you for asking about your face lift and submalar implants.
  • You need to discuss this with your surgeon -
  • And you need to be clear about the look that you liked that you want to achieve.
  • Depending on how recently you had surgery, an implant exchange could be done now or it may need to wait six months, when all swelling has subsided.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Maybe

I would suggest that you give your face enough time to heal from the initial surgery. I may have some minimal swelling even after a year. It also would allow you to adjust to your new look. If you desire to have your cheek implants replaced, plan carefully for the precise change you desire.  Just going to a bigger implant is not always the answer. A different shape implant may be needed or, perhaps, even custom carving it may be necessary. Assuming the procedure was properly done the first time, pain and swelling the second time around is usually less and of shorter duration.

Nicholas Nikolov, MD

Replacing medium sub malar implants with large implants?

replacing these implants with larger ones may require a combined implant rather than just a larger sub malar implant  since the swelling you had was not only over the sub mailer space but also move the mailer bone itself.  Discuss this with a very experienced cheek implant surgeon. The swelling could be the same or more.  See if very experienced cheek implants surgeon for this and I would advise against using fat. 

Replace medium sub malar implants with large, will the swelling be less?

The answer is a definite maybe. The reasoning that since most of the pocket is already there much of the work is done is sound. But larger implants may present problems that the smaller did not and there is a small chance the swelling could be equal or worse. You my wish to consider fat transfer.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wanting to replace medium submalar implants with large ones

If you replaced your medium submalar implants with large ones, I would still expect some swelling to be present in the recovery period.  It is possible that the swelling could be less than when you had the original ones placed, but I would not promise this to any patient.  There is also the possibility that the swelling could be worse.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon