Should I Get Moderate Plus or High Profile Implants? Submuscular or "Dual Plane"? (photo)

I am wondering if I should get moderate plus or high profile implants and also if i should get dual plane or completely submuscular? I have already decided that 350 cc's saline is what I want to get a "full C". I would like to have alot of fullness at the upper pole and also more cleavage. If there is an option that would make sagging later in life less likely I would like to choose that option.

The right implant for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

Moderate Plus versus High Profile Implant through a Dual Plane Approach

The most important factor when considering size and profile of a breast implant is to first ascertain the patient's chest width. Once the width is determined, an appropriate implant can be chosen that best corresponds to the patient's specific anatomy. In my practice, after a range of implant sizes is selected, the patient can utilize our sizing system to try on implants of various sizes to get a feel for what volume matches their aesthetic ideal.

Moderate profile implants are wider but have less projection, whereas high profile implants are narrower but have more projection.   Women who desire more upper pole fullness and cleavage may benefit from a wider  moderate profile implant. Women who have a narrow chest width but desire larger implants may benefit from a high profile implant. With regards to implant position, the majority of submuscular placement is in a dual plane and not completely submuscular. It is important to convey your aesthetic goals to your board certified plastic surgeon so that the appropriate implant can be chosen.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Moderate Plus or High Profile ; Submuscular or "Dual Plane"

Thanks for your question and for attaching photos. 

As far as choice of implants, at the 350 cc size the difference is width is rather small. I generally choose the profile to fit the measured width of the breast. Chances are your choice will make little difference in outcome. A slightly wider implant (Moderate +) may give you a bit more fill in the upper pole. 

As to your breast position, the breasts are further apart than some, so getting cleavage from implants is not too likely. The implants can be no closer than the insertions of the pectoral muscles into the breast-bone.  A push-up bra or swim top will give more central fill, but not real cleavage.

Last issue is implant position. Almost all surgeons doing submuscular implants are doing dual plane rather than complete submuscular positioning, although the terminology is often used loosely. 

Thanks and best wishes.