Are Moderate Plus Implants Mainly for Women with a Narrower Bw?

I'm kinda moderate plus more for women w/narrower breast width? If I measure 14cm and get a moderate plus I would need ALOT of cc's to match my width? It is important to fill in your width right?

Moderate plus profile breast implants by Mentor.

Moderate plus implants are one of my favorite styles. It combines the higher profile that diminishes the tendency for rippling but does\ not have the  narrow base diameter of the high profile implant.

Moderate plus implants are used for many women

I agree with doctor Gill regarding implant selection. There are three factors I always consider:  base diameter (breast width) , breast skin laxity, and the amount of breast tissue. If you select an implant by only considering the base width, then you would need a larger implant volume to obtain the same base width with a moderate plus implant when compared to a moderate profile implant. As implants  increase in size, the base width increases. When you compare implants of higher profiles, the base diameter decrease for implants of the same fill volume. Another way to put this is, for the same implant volume, the base width of the implants will decrease as you go from moderate profile, to plus profile, to high profile implants. It is important in any cosmetic procedure that you discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon and make sure he/she understands your expectations, and agrees that they are reasonable.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Moderate Plus Implant Indications

When choosing an implant type, I consider three factors:

1.  Base Diameter (chest wall width)

2.  Skin pinch or amount of native breast skin

3.  Patient goals and desires

I always begin my consultation by getting a clear understanding of my patients goals and expected end result.  Then we perform a detailed exam where I measure the chest wall width, amount of skin pinch, and estimate the skin envelope.     

Based on these three measurements,  I select an implant profile and size range based on these measurements.  I then believe it is imperative to allow the patient to try on my recommended size range and implant profiles in a fitted bra.  This gives a very accurate estimate of the expected result.   

Therefore, I do not think one can base a moderate plus profile implant selection on chest wall width alone.   If the patient has very little native breast tissue (A cup) with a tight skin envelope desiring a small C cup, I will typically recommend a Moderate Profile Implant.  However, if my patient has a loose skin envelope and desires to be a full D, I may consider a high profile implant that fits her base diameter.  

It is important that the skin envelope, chest wall width, and desired breast size be considered in the right implant base diameter and profile selection. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Moderate Plus breast implants

Mentor's Moderate Plus saline-filled breast implant is a good choice for women who want more than 1 1/2 cup size increase but less than a two cup size increase (Allergan's high profile saline, not Mentor's). The volume will be more than a medium profile implant and less than a high profile implant. The width of the implant must be matched to the width of the upright breast if it is to fit and look natural. To use an implant that is too wide for the width of the breast or two narrow is asking for a poor result just like improperly fitted shoes or clothes. It can be done but why risk it? 

If your breast width upright is 14 cm, then the proper Mentor Moderate Plus saline-filled implant would be a 475 which could be safely filled to 525 cc's. I disagree with Mentor's rating of this implant to fill up to 95 cc's more. A reasonable limit is 10% additional fill maximum. 

Unless your breast is unusually wide for your chest, you could expect this to increase you breast size by over 1 1/2 cups but less than 2 cup sizes. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

Moderate plus implants are designed for woman usually of a medium build.  I reserve high profiles for thin narrow women that want a larger breast but do not want too much "side boob."  If they wnat more "side boob" I may choose a mod + for them to match the volume.

Breast implants do not have to fill the whole width of your breast.

1)  We use only moderate plus implants and high profile implants because they do not show rippling.

2)  Make sure your plastic surgeon really understands the exact look you want.

3)  Then let your surgeon select the implants that will give you that look.  This is part of what you are paying for. This should not be your worry.

4)  We use sterile disposable implant SIZERS during surgery to eliminate guess work.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Moderate PLUS Breast Implants

Matching the right implant to each woman is a combination of science but more of art. The most important factor in selecting an implant is assuring that it is covered by the existing breast tissue and that it is placed under the center of the breast.

After the introduction of the earlier Low Profile implants, came the High Profile implants. But these implants satisfied a narrow segment of the market by providing either wide rather flat implants (LP) or extremely prominent, out there implants (HP). Then McGhan (later bought by Allergan and branded Natrelle) introduced the Moderate Profile (MP) which provided an in-between appearance which a lot of women preferred. After a few years, Mentor released a much improved implant, the Moderate Profile PLUS implant which had since been the best selling saline implant in the US. It provides a profile anywhere between the MP and close to the HP capturing the large number of women who want more than MP but do not want to be as obvious as HP.

Look into the MP Plus implant and compare it to the HP implant. Ask your surgeon's opinion which one he thinks would best satisfy your cosmetic surgery goals.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea

Choosing the right breast implant

There are three common profiles to breast implants:

1. Moderate Profile-flattest and widest

2. Moderate Plus Profile

3. High Profile-most narrow and projected

The implant does not need to be an "exact fit" to your breast width (BW).  In fact, it is most important that they don't exceed your breast width.  Thus, breast width determines the maximum size implant that can be used depending on profile. 

For many patients, moderate plus profile implants serve as a naturally projecting implant with maximal fill to limit rippling and wrinkling.  High profile implants allow a narrow chested individual (small BW) to have a larger implant without the increased width.  Moderate profile implants serve patients with wide chests the best. 

Decide on the implant  volume  with the assistance of your plastic surgeon.  He or she will use measurements such as BW, tissue compliance and areola to fold distance to determine a suitable sized implant to meet your goals. 

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

moderate plus implants

You are very astute! I would use high profiles on you. But that is just me and 30+ years of implanting. Discuss with the PS of choice. From MIAMI Dr. B