Is a tummy tuck before having kids wise?

So I'm only 26, I have a boyfriend, but I still feel and look young! Everything but my stomach that is... When I look at my stomach it always makes me cringe. It reminds me of my past, always feeling trapped in a body that didn't reflect my inner self . Anyway, my boyfriend and I do have plans for the future but no kids anytime soon. ( meaning marriage but wait about 3 years before kids) Should I wait till after kids ?

Wait

Definitely wait until after kids to have a tummy tuck.  Liposuction is the option for you at this time.

Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before having kids?

Thank you for your question. I suggest you wait until after you have kids which is when most women require a tummy tuck to thighten the abdominal wall and get rid of excess skin and stretch marks. That said the ideal tummy tuck candidate must have an stable weight within the safe range with a BMI under 30 to reduce risks during and after surgery. If you decide not to wait until after having kids, you will most likely need a revision for your tummy tuck as the skin may stretch again when pregnant. The most important thing is to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure

I usually tell patients to wait until after they have kids if this is something in the near future. As long as you are aware of likely needing another tummy tuck after children if you choose not to wait. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 
Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

It is generally best to wait until after all of your children to have a tummy tuck. If you happen to get pregnant after a tummy tuck, the skin will re stretch to allow for the growth of the baby. Chances are that you would need a revision post children if you decide not to wait. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before having kids?

HI I,It is probably best to wait until you have had your children before having a tummy tuck. If you do the procedure before having your kids, you will most likely stretch all the loose skin that was tightened and removed and thus, you will have wasted your money and time in the OR.  Secondly. you will probably have to repeat the procedure.Hope this helps a bit,Best,Dr.Christine Rodgers

A Tummy Tuck Before Having Kids?

A standard tummy tuck that includes tightening of the abdominal muscle wall could adversely affect a future pregnancy and should not be done until the patient is finished having children. However, if loose skin is the issue, it is safe to have a tummy tuck and liposuction that only removes fat and excess skin. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  If you are certain on having children it is best to have your tummy tuck after you have completed your family. This allows for a single procedure whose results you can maintain long-term.  You can have a tummy tuck now if you are a good candidate, and can still have kids in the future, but your TT results will most likely be compromised.  The choice is yours.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation who can offer you the pros/cons to the timing of a tummy tuck.  Best wishes.

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

I think that most plastic surgeons would agree that the best long-term result will be obtained from a primary (first time) tummy tuck without future pregnancies.  Secondary (revision) tummy tuck procedures are typically more challenging. This is because it can be difficult to excise all of the skin below the belly button the second time around.  Your question is excellent.  You'll have to make the decision and consider the pros and cons of each approach.  If you are unhappy right now with your abdomen due to weight loss or other factors, this can be addressed with a tummy tuck procedure. You just need to understand that some of the benefits that you will achieve from your tummy tuck surgery can be undone with future pregnancy.  If this is acceptable to you, you should seek a consultation from a board-certified plastic surgeon and pursue the surgery right now.  If you think that you will  potentially have children in the next few years, then I would wait until you are done having babies and pursue the surgery at that time.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Based on your weight loss history, description of concerns, and goals, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to undergo tummy tuck surgery at this point, as long as you understand that additional surgery may (or may not) be necessary subsequent to pregnancies.

Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause CHANGES that MAY require further surgery to correct.  Ultimately, especially in situations like yours, timing of tummy tuck surgery will be a very personal decision that can only made after careful consideration of pros and cons associated with each option.   I think you already have a good understanding of the pros/cons associated with timing options.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps.  You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss.    Best wishes.

Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but if you plan on future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial. Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles.   Robert Singer, MD  FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon