Is it OK if I just stop smoking for two weeks and I have my breast reduction?

I have surgery in two weeks is it OK if I just stop smoking for two weeks

Smoking After Breast Reduction

Thank you very much for your question. In general, it is recommended that patients stop smoking a minimum of one month prior to a surgical procedure. They should then refrain from smoking for at least one month after surgery. This is extremely important, as smoking significantly affects circulation, which in turn, can cause a dramatic delay in wound healing. It also increases the chance for serious complications to occur. I recommend you view this as an opportunity begin a smoking cessation program, quitting the habit for good. Speak with your operating surgeon about methods to quit smoking permanently.  

Smoking and Surgery

Thank you for your question.  I recommend you stop smoking for 6 weeks prior to surgery and a month after surgery to avoid any unnecessary risks. 

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Smoking is really bad for healing

You only get one chance for a breast reduction.  Do everything to make your results the best possible.  Take the time to QUIT smoking.  Don't plan to quit for 2 weeks or 6 weeks or 2 months.  Take the time to quit forever.  It is not easy but worth the effort. 

You will be glad you quit and glad you had the safest breast reduction possible.  Good luck with your efforts.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Breast reduction

Breast reduction is one of the operations with the highest risk of complications realated to smoking. I recommend people who smoke and are considering plastic surgery stop smoking 6 weeks before the surgery.

By giving up smoking 6 weeks prior to surgery, you can greatly reduce the risk of complications and breathing problems that can occur under anaesthesia.

And It is also consistently reported that high percent of patients who smoked before and after breast reduction surgery displayed impaired healing of the surgical wounds.

How many weeks you refrain from smoking before surgery can also make a huge difference. Not smoking after surgery speeds up recovery and avoids unnecessary post-surgical complications.

Avoiding drinking alcohol before and after the surgery can help with healing after surgery.

Good luck!

Jin-Sung Kim, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

In my practice I recommend my patients to stop smoking 2 months before surgery and to keep without it at least a month after the procedure to avoid unnecessary risks.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Smoking and breast reduction

Honesty with your surgeon is of utmost importance ! My personal recommendation are to stop smoking atleast 5-6 wks before surgery and wait for another 5-6 wks after surgery. Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

You should be without cigarettes or anything that carries nicotine for at least 6 weeks.  A cavalier surgeon may say 4 weeks, but most would say 6.  Two weeks is not enough and if you have a complication, you could be in serious trouble- necrotic (dead) skin flaps and nipples...  Don't compromise your result- postpone your surgery until 6 weeks.

Nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor, it tightens small blood vessels.  I personally  would not do a breast reduction on you unless you quit nicotine for at least 6 weeks preop and 3-4 weeks postop.  You are at higher risk for wound healing problems and nipple necrosis.  Your surgeon may have a different protocol-but PLEASE be honest with him or her about your smoking.  We all want our patients to have a good result.  Good luck, Jane. 

Smoking and breast reduction surgery?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  

Recommendations will vary from one practice to another;  therefore your plastic surgeon will have the most relevant recommendations for you. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid  nicotine in all its "modalities' of delivery 6 weeks prior to surgery. It is a powerful constrictor of blood vessels, decreasing blood flow to the “flaps” used during these procedures. This decreased blood flow could potentially lead to wound healing problems and/or tissue necrosis. 

Best advice: avoid nicotine completely as long as possible prior to surgery and then do not restart.