Is it normal to have slight pain in the tip of the earlobe 4.5 weeks after a short scar face lift? It occurs only on one side.

56 year old male.

Normal Pain and numbness after Facelift

The face is supplied by several nerve branches, and some of these control sensation in the ear; the potential for injury to these nerves is always present. Numbness of the earlobe can occur after facelift. What you are describing sounds a bit more like normal post-operative pain to me. Usually one side is more noticeable than another. When you see your surgeon in followup--point it out. Sometimes a small suture can be causing irritation--quite common and easy to address. 

Normal Pain and numbness after Facelift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pain and numbness after facelift

Yes, this is normal because of the nerves that affect both the face and the ear. You are only four and a half weeks post surgery, give your face some time to heal and the pain should subside. Good luck to you.

Pain and numbness after facelift

Slight Pain of Earlobe after Facelift

Yes, this would be considered a normal part of healing. Since the nerves in the region of the incision are traumatized, patients can experience pain, tingling, and shooting pains as the nerves recover. Sometimes deeper sutures cause pain that resolves with time.

Slight Pain of Earlobe after Facelift

Ear lobe pain post face lift

Thanks for writing,

I agree with my colleagues relative to sensory nerve irritation.The nerve on the side with earlobe pain is probably slight more irritated than on the opposite side, typically this improves with time. Time is your friend in this case. Make sure you let your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon know of your concerns, I am sure he / she will be happy to help you.

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Ear lobe pain post face lift

Thanks for writing,

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Pain in earlobe after facelift

When we do a facelift, the sensory nerves are cut as the skin is incised.   That is why people feel numbness around the ears and in the cheeks.  The nerves will slowly regenerate, which can cause some discomfort, sometimes described as electrical pulses.  So what you are experiencing is normal.    

Pain in earlobe after facelift

Ear pain

During a facelift procedure the sensory nerves can be irritated and cause pain in the ear.  This can certainly be annoying, but should resolve for you in the near future.  I would let your surgeon know if it fails to resolve.

Ear pain

Slight Pain in Earlobe 4.5 Weeks Following Facelift

The #pain should be minimal and can be controlled with the prescribed medication by your surgeon. Throughout the #facelift #healing process you should be seen frequently by your doctor and one of their registered nurses to ensure you are following instructions properly and your recovery is going well. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Pain in the earlobe 4 1/2 weeks after modified facelift occasionally seen.

The nerves to the earlobe are involved in the inflammatory postop facelift course. Neuritis could cause the perception of pain in their area of distribution. Report this to your surgeon.

Pain 4.5 weeks in ear lobe after short scar face lift

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• It is not unusual to have pain of the kind you describe.
  • It should be slowly improving and should disappear within a few weeks.
  • There is always one side of the face that heals faster than the other - this also is normal.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes!

Slight pain on earlobe after facelift

The healing process differs from patient to patient, however, the slight discomfort you are describing is to be expected after a facelift.  Should your concerns persist, I suggest a conversation with your surgeon or his/her clinical team.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slight pain on earlobe after facelift

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon