I recently found out I'm pregnant. Can I still breastfeed andnif so will it cause any distortion? (photo)

I'm 24 with size 34 D silicone implants and have had them for about 3 years. I would like to breastfeed but I'm not sure if I can and if so, will it cause any distortion?

I recently found out I'm pregnant. Can I still breastfeed andnif so will it cause any distortion?

You should be able to breast feed after implants. If you gain excessive weight and the breasts become very large after pregnancy there is a risk of sagging or Ptosis once you stop breast feeding and lose excess pregnancy weight. If that does occur a breast lift may be required.

A qualified yes - let me explan

Breast implants, in and of themselves should not interfere with nursing in any way, shape or form in most cases.

If the implants were placed through an incision around the areola, some of the ducts might have been cut, in which case it would be more difficult to nurse.  However, if your procedure was done through an incision below the breast or through the arm-pit- there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to nurse. 

However,  there is a small percentage of women, who, for whatever reason cannot nurse - perhaps the baby doesn't latch on, perhaps there is not enough milk, etc.  As you have yet to prove yourself capable of nursing should you be unable to nurse, I would suggest a consultation with a lactation specialist to get some pointers to enable you to nurse. 

Best of luck in this new, great stage in your life. 

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your pregnancy.  There is no risk to your baby with breastfeeding, and only benefits if you do.  There is no way to know the extent of changes that your breasts will have with pregnancy but it will be important for you to maintain your breasts well supported during this time and while nursing.  Best wishes!

Breastfeeding is fine

Breastfeeding is fine.
Breast can change in many ways during and after pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Distortion can occur and can be helped later.
Congratulations.

You can breastfeed after implants

Congrats on the pregnancy!  Yes, you can breastfeed after augmentation.  Consider a good support bra during the pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breastfeeding After Breast Augmentation

Hi Hannah... Congratulations!  There is no reason why you should avoid breastfeeding.  This will not hurt your breast augmentation in any way.  Your breasts are going to change from going through a pregnancy but it is impossible to predict exactly how.  A lot will depend on your weight changes and your genetics.  Good luck!
Dr. Parham Ganchi - Wayne, NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

You can breastfeed with breast implants

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Not all women naturally are able to breastfeed, but if you are able to, there would be no problem doing so if you have implants; it wouldn't cause any distortion. With or without implants your breasts can change from the milk that comes in during pregnancy. Some women's breasts stay the same size, others get bigger, smaller or droopier, and what happens to your breasts can change from pregnancy to pregnancy. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos.
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Most patients are able to breast feed.
Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing exactly woman's breasts will change over time and/or with pregnancy and/or breast feeding. Much of the changes that do occur will depend on factors such as genetics, weight gain/loss, skin elasticity changes, positioning of the breast implants ( for example submuscular versus sub glandular) etc.
Some of the changes in breasts seen after pregnancy are related to the changes in breast skin and glandular size/shape/positioning; some of the changes are related to changes in position of breast implants. Much of the changes that will occur are not within the control of the patient or surgeon. However, maintaining a stable weight during pregnancy (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) may be helpful.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

It's really impossible to predict how your breasts will look once you are done breastfeeding but if you want to breast feed your child then you should just go ahead and do it. If things change afterward it's not that hard to revise your breasts but you certainly don't want to miss out on something as special as breastfeeding because of aesthetic concerns. In terms of safety, there is at least one study I'm aware of that shows breast milk has negligible levels of silicone in patients with implants, less than what is found in commercial formula so it's certainly safe. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

No reason not to

You should be fine to breast feed and there is no evidence based study that I am aware of that indicates any harm to the mother or child.  I typically tell patients to consider putting off pregnancy for six months to one year after implantation because of some minor concern of increased risk of capsular contracture until the capsule is completely mature and the breast has taken its final shape but after three years, you should be fine.   Congratulations on your pregnancy!