Success of Strattice/Alloderm vs. full capsulectomy with implant replacement

Success rate and opinions of what seems to be a newer tech of using the Stratice to prevent CC. I had a BA back in Mar of 2014, 3 mo later same surg did a pocket rev which resulted in a same-day hematoma I had taken care of in Emerg surg (same implant used). I developed CC now stage 3or4. I do not wish to go back to my orig surgeon, but his rec is Strattice. Other surgeon doesn't feel that is nec and recs a full capsulectomy with replace of implants with drain, followed closely with massage.

Strattice for recurrent capsular contracture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I recommend Strattice for recurrent capsular contracture, ie on the 2nd surgery to treat a capsular contracture.  You don't want a 2nd failed attempt.  

Recurrent Capsular Contracture

I have a great deal of experience with Capsular contracture patients revising now over 200 patients mainly with Acellular Dermis (Strattice/Alloderm) or newer scaffolds. 

Capsulectomy alone with new implants still has an unacceptably high recurrence rate.  I have yet to have a patient recurrence with Strattice or Alloderm although the complication rate with these procedures is not zero.

If your implants are above the muscle I would place new implants beneath the muscle and use larger pieces of Strattice to bridge from the muscle to the chest.  If deep to the muscle would remove as much of the capsular scar tissue as possible and place Strattice in the same way.

I believe these tissues create an effective Biomechanical block to help prevent the scar from returning.

All my Best,

Brad Bengtson, MD

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

I use Strattice for recurrent encapsulation...

Sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced. Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons.  In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion (if relevant), capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix (for recurrent encapsulation).  Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source (his human, porcine, or bovine in origin).  I hope this, and the attached link ( demonstrating a case utilizing acellular dermal matrix) helps. 

Strattice for capsular contracture

Strattice has been used for several years to prevent recurrence of capsular contracture and it has been quite effective in my experience. It is not used instead of capsulectomy and implant replacement, but in addition. Often with a capsulectomy there is a loss of support and coverage of the implant, and Strattice helps to replace that, so it potentially serves two purposes. Capsulectomy and implant exchange without Strattice works more often than not but the recurrence rate is higher. Massage does not prevent capsular contracture. 

Richard Baxter, MD