I'm 8 wks post op. Today I have a small hole at end of incision. I'm nervous & surgeon is out of reach. Should I worry? (Photo)

hole appearing at end of incision

I'm 8 wks post op. Today I have a small hole at end of incision. I'm nervous & surgeon is out of reach. Should I worry?

I appreciate your question.
Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your Surgeon so he/she can examine you.  If your Surgeon is not available, there should be someone covering for him/her so you can be seen and examined immediately.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Wound separation after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, different surgeons will use different techniques to close the wounds. There is no one way to do it. There is no one right way to do it either. Your wound has a complication that should be addressed properly. I am sure if you contacted your PS office they will be happy to answer this with the BEST answer.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Find the surgeon

You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon.  It could be nothing, a spitting stitch that needs to be removed.  If it is more serious, you need the help of your plastic surgeon now, not later.  The surgeon has to have someone covering for them.  They just can't be out of reach.

Hole at incision

Thank you for your recent question and photo! From the photo this appears to be a dissolvable stitch that has come to the surface. However, a face to face consult would be best to make sure this is in fact what is going on. Thank you and best of luck!

Breast Augmentation Recovery

This is most probably a stitch abyss that will resolve itself. However, if the wound is leaking fluid, I would suggest that you make an appointment with the doctor who is covering for your surgeon just to be safe. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Should I worry?

This may be caused by a dissolving suture but you need to be evaluated in person to be sure. If you do not live near your surgeon, call his or her office to see if they can refer you to someone near you. Good luck. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing after breast aug.

Thank you for sending your picture. Is the wound draining any fluid? If not then it could be a stitch abscess that may improve with good local wound care. If it is draining a moderate amount of fluid then it could be a direct communication with your implant which is a more immediate concern. If this is the case then perhaps you can reach a doctor who is covering for your surgeon who can see you sooner.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Appears to be irritation from a suture knot

The small opening is most likely from a suture that has not yet dissolved and is trying to surface. The location near the end of the scar is usually where your surgeon would tie a knot. The wound is closed in layers, so even though the outer skin is open a little, there should be deeper tissues still protecting the implant. That being said, there is a very remote chance of a communication with the implant. I would keep the area clean and covered and see your surgeon within a few days just to check, or immediately if you develop redness, drainage, or a fever.

Keith J. Attkiss, MD
Greenwich Plastic Surgeon

Spitting suture

A little piece of the end of the suture has worked its way through the skin. It can be easily removed by the staff at the office. No worries. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photograph and I am sorry that this has caused you to be nervous.  Based on your picture the greatest concern is if the hole is somehow communicating with your implant underneath.  The overall appearance of the breast looks normal, and most likely a small hole is the result of a suture issue or small wound separation that would not be concerning.  I would continue to contact your surgeon's office, however, to be seen for reassurance.