Is it normal for hips on one side to look like a tumor sticking out after full tummy tuck? When it was skinny before?

I just had surgery full tummy tuck and I just had surgery 3 days ago but I have a huge swollen bruised spot on my left hip looks like a tumor now I was skinny before this just had extra skin for children and my stomach muscles were separated by 2 inches my other side isn't swollen and sticking out like my left side is is this normal I didn't have fat on either side prior to this let me know just looks like a massive tumor on left hip now and bruised other side is normal Is this permanent ?

You need to see your Surgeon to be evaluated for a Hematoma

Based on what you describe, I would urge you to go see your Surgeon and be evaluated for a Hematoma. A hematoma is a collection of blood that has pooled under the skin. Anytime you have surgery it is possible for an artery or vein to open up and start to leak blood creating a fluid collection of blood in the area. It is also possible and entirely normal to have bruising and swelling after a tummy tuck and liposuction - hopefully that is all that has happened here with you. But when the bruising and swelling is very different on one side than the other (asymmetric) that really starts to raise concern for a hematoma. So your really should go be evaluated by your Surgeon to find out exactly what is happening.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your swelling and bruising.  Without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer you definitive advice, but it sounds as if you have some swelling and bruising from the tummy tuck or liposuction if that was also done. Though distressing, this swelling and bruising should resolve spontaneously without affecting your long-term results.  Be sure to maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure you heal without further issue.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck bruising

That degree of asymmetry, especially with overlying bruising is worrisome for a secondary bleed in the blood could be contained in a space that we call hematoma. Go back to see your surgeon right away. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck bruising and swelling.

Thanks for your inquiry, but without a picture it is hard to advise.  It is not uncommon to have some bruising and asymmetrical swelling after surgery, but please let your surgeon know what you are dealing with to make sure there is not something more significant like bleeding/hematoma.  Good Luck.  

Unsure if the increased swelling/bruising is due to a hematoma. Best to see your operating surgeon asap so he or she can better evaluate you in person. Remember, it is normal to have swelling and some bruising post op but a huge, bruised area may represent an area that needs to be drained. Good luck!!

Too soon to judge

It is really way too soon to judge your results. You are swollen and bruised from surgery. I know it's frightening, but it will heal with time. If things don't begin to improve over the next few days, schedule an appointment to see your surgeon to be assessed in person. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD