Fluid After Tummy Tuck, What to Do? (photo)

I realized that a seroma can occur whether u hve a top notch surgery in the US or u decided to save money. What boggles me is that I developed one after my drain was removed and I am back in the US. The option to go to my original surgery is not there. I have visited four doctors in Houston and called 6 all of them will not drain MY FLUIDS?? Is there is any other surgeon in the USA that can help me? I will fly wherever I need, I just need help??

Doctor Answers 9

Fluid After Tummy Tuck, What to Do?

Best option, I think is to contact your primary doctor, who can arrange for an interventional radiologist to place a drain under ultrasound. It may be pricey, but less than flying somewhere for what may be repeat visits. All the best. 

Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Do not stop trying to find a doctor

a seroma can occur when you have a tummy tuck done, it is solved easily by draining it and wearing rhe garment full time, for now i sugest you  to tightten your garment the most you can that could help. also you can go back to your doctor if posible.

Ramon Sabala, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Seroma occurring after drain removal my become chronic and require surgical excision.

Although I don't use drains seroma formation after removal might not be amenable to drainage without excision. This is a judgment call and should be made by plastic surgeon. If you want to fly to Atlanta I will be glad to look at you.

Vincent N. Zubowicz, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Seroma after tummy tuck

Sorry to hear that you are having problem after your surgery.  You should limit activities and wear compression garment.  Also, if your body is not able to absorb seroma soon, you should have the fluid drains placed by interventional radiologist before the seroma develops capsule in the body.  

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Finding a local doctor after going abroad...

I'm sorry my colleagues are shunning you (and indirectly punishing you) for your decision to go abroad.  Keep calling and you will find a doctor who is more interested in providing appropriate care for you (yes, at additional costs).  There are many doctors where you live and resident clinics are where you can start if you cannot find anyone else.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Fluid After Tummy Tuck, What to Do?

Dear Texasgirl,

Thank you for your question.  Seromas usually come from pulling the drain a little too early.  This is more common in medical tourism, because they are trying to send you home.  When this happens, your options are 1. have it drained with a needle by a plastic surgeon as many times as it takes to keep it from coming back, 2. have a drain placed by a plastic surgeon or interventional radiologist, or 3. do nothing.  If you do nothing, likely you will always have fluid there.  It is impracticle to fly somewhere to have a surgeon simply drain it, unless they are putting in a drain from external, (like a pig-tail catheter). 

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Seroma after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Seromas may need to be drained (aspirated)  a few times. Therefore, best to have someone local to you involved. My office would be happy to see you but this certainly would not be practical. I think your local primary care doctors will be your best resource when it comes to finding a cooperative surgeon  or interventional radiologist.

 Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

Fluid After Tummy Tuck, What to Do? (photo)

NOW you see why out of US surgery a danger!!! Most of the boarded PSs in USA do not or will not render urgent care for those who had out of country surgery with a complication. Did you offer to pay in advance?? Bet you did not. Fee would be around $1,000 but if needs in hospital drainage surgery than fees could run $5,000. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Had international surgey now have major complication

 Its true that any surgeon can get a seroma. The difference in your statement is that in the US, our surgeons are both legally and ethically bound to care for you when a complication arises from work they have done. They see you in their office as many times as is required, facilitate consults if needed, transfers and admit to the hospital to care for you. That said,  drain needs to be placed. If there is an infection you will need antibiotics. If the seroma is there a long time, your incision will need to be partially open, the fluids and capsule removed and closed. Be prepared that you will have to pay out of pocket and insurance will not pay for any of this care. I would certainly help you but I would also like you to undertand why other have opted not to accept another international surgeons potential disaster.

Raj S. Ambay, MD
Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.