Do I need to wait to loose the last bit of weight in order to get a chin implant?

I have 20 more lbs to loose in order to reach my goal weight. I start full time school and a school job in about a month. This will make it difficult for me to take off the time needed to travel out of state and to take off the recovery time with a new job and hectic school schedule. Im very anxious to have this procedure done. Would it be reasonable to have it done in the next couple weeks before I get very busy or do I absolutley need to wait until I have lost the weight I would like to loose?

Weight loss before or after a chin implant

Placement of Chin implant is performed for a bony deficiency and the lack of mandible bone projection. Twenty pound weight loss or gain will have no bearing on whether patients need a chin implant or not. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Weight loss prior to surgery

For some procedures, reach to or near your goal weight is important.  That is NOT the case for a chin implant.  You should be able to have the procedure and not adversely effect the final outcome at your current weight.  I hope that helps.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and weight loss

It is impossible to give you good advice without photos and/or clinical evaluation. In general, you could have chin augmentation with implant and neck liposuction (if needed) and continue to loose weight. You should discuss this issue with a board certified plastic surgeon after clinical evaluation. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Wait to loose the last bit of weight in order to get a chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  Liposuction below the chin can be performed using the same incision used for placement of the chin implant if you elect to have the implant placed before loosing the additional weight.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant and Weight Loss

Congratulations on the weight loss.  If you are just 20 pounds away from your goal weight, there is no need to wait to proceed with a chin implant.  Further weight loss will not affect your outcome.
I hope that helps.
Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

There is no significant fat in the chin so getting the implant is not dependent on your weight. Your neck appearance may change if you store your weight there, but without photos there is no comment we can make on that feature.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD