Is there such thing as a successful lift and implant of 750-800cc?

I'm 5'9" and 180 and 27 and looking to get 700-800cc implants but I'll need a lift. From what I've read this is a risky procedure for a lift and implants that large?

Lift With 800cc Implant?

It's not possible to provide a more specific answer without photos and more information, but here are some important things to consider.

The combination of a simultaneous implant with a lift is highly complicated procedure and is associated with a very high revision rate. That is not to say that in some situations it can't be done successfully, but if not, the results can range from mediocre to disastrous and fixing it secondarily can be difficult and expensive. For that reason many patients are better off if the operation is done in stages.

Part of the reason for the high revision rate is that the two operations work against one another. The lift is elevating the nipple and breast tissues while reducing the skin envelope. An implant expands the skin and breast tissues and stretches out the skin envelope. When doing both at the same time either one or both of the procedures can be compromised. Obviously, with a larger implant (750-800cc), the degree to which these two operations fight each other will be increased. So the larger the implant the greater the risk of failure of the operation.

For patients who need a significant lift, or who want to end up with a larger implant, I will typically recommend that the operation be done in two stages. First the lift is done to reposition the nipple and breast, and remove excess skin. This sets the stage for later placement of an implant. After everything has been allowed to heal for several months one can return and then have much more flexibility in implant selection.

Without a doubt, it would be far more convenient to get it all done in a single stage, and there is usually some cost savings, but in many situations the result will not be optimal and if a revision is then required it can often be far more expensive. Often patients are unable or unwilling to bear this extra cost so they end up living with a poor result.

Thank you for your question. Without an exam or at least a picture, it is very hard to give you specific advice about your case. In general, combining a lift with a large implant like that is not the best of ideas. I am not sure where you got the figure of the 750-800 cc implant, but often when paired with a lift, the size of implant you need to obtain the desired results is much smaller. Another great option if you really do need an implant of that size would be to stage the procedure. Complete the lift, allow that to heal, then go back and decide exactly what implant you will need and do that as a second stage. This would decrease the risk of complications significantly. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and have an exam and discuss your options.  

Good luck and be safe!

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results, contact a board certified plastic surgeon, I recommend you soft cohesive silicone implants about 350 cc's you will look pretty and they will be perky.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:
  1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger
A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:
  1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced
I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:
  1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Risks will vary

by what anatomy your are starting with, your health history, and if any anatomic anomalies are present.  But with implants that large, is a lift even needed?  I abhor Benelli (around the nipple) lifts as the scarring is universally sub par and it flattens projection and from what my patients tell me, projection is a good thing.  But if you have a lot of loose tissue, you could have a lollipop lift with your augmentation and be safe.

Curtis Wong, MD

Large Breast Implants with Lift

Your supposition is correct about this specific combination of breast procedures. It is far safer to have the lift and then go back put in large breast implants. Putting these two procedures together is a recipe for complications.

Obviously, without photos, there is no way anyone here can comment on your situation. The risk in doing what your question suggests is increased that you will lose your nipples. In situations like yours we do the lift, wait 3 months, and then do the augmentation.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD