Can I get cool sculpt? (Photo)

31 female 5'10 150lbs struggling with the muffin top. I have a large tattoo on my right stomach will that effect the procedure and what type of results should I expect?

Coolsculpting over tattoos is no problem

Coolsculpting can be done over tattoos without any problem.  Laser treatments should be avoided over tattoos but Coolsculpting does not involve laser.   You may be a candidate for Coolsculpting in the abdomen and flanks to address the muffin top.  I would plan on at least two treatments in each area.  You can be better evaluated in person to determine the types of applicators and the number of applicators or treatment areas required for your best results. 
Good luck!

Coolsculpting candidate?

Coolsculpting can be used to treat that muffin top. I have seen some impressive results with a series of 2 treatments. However, the results do vary from patient to patient. Remember, cool sculpting requires no surgery and it will generally yield 10-20% improvement. However, you must understand that cool sculpting is NOT liposuction. Liposuction is a surgical procedure and will yield more definitive results. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Coolsculpting candidates

Coolsculpting can be used by many body types but the closer you are to your ideal body weight, the better the result if you do not have hanging skin.  In my opinion, a patient with a muffin top and moderate overhang of tissue can have a pretty good result but it might take multiple treatments.  The abdomen and the flanks would both have to be treated.  First they should be debulked with larger applicators and then sculpted with smaller applicators.  There is an art to location and placement of the applicators. Treatment, along with a healthy lifestyle, can really show some fantastic results.  A board certified plastic surgeon has eye for non-invasive fat reduction techniques because we are so used to doing liposuction and abdominoplasties.  Good luck in your treatment with your physician.

CoolSculpting for Muffin Top

CoolSculpting can address the muffin top as well as the upper and lower abdominal area. An in-person exam will allow your doctor to come up with a treatment plan, which may involve one or more sessions of CoolSculpting. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting over a tattoo

Hi.  Good news - you can have the Coolsculpting procedure done over the tattooed area.  It won't harm the tattoo, and the effect of the cool sculpting treatment will not be diminished.  Plan on at least 2 sessions for each side to really get a nice improvement.

CoolSculpting or Liposuction Could Work

Thanks for your question. CoolSculpting can provide an improvement and will not affect the tattoo. While this treatment will give you a noticeable result, it will not be as dramatic as liposuction. Liposuction is a much more aggressive treatment and will remove more fat, leading to skin shrinkage. CoolSculpting is non-invasive and you will have no downtime. Just realize that the result will not be as dramatic as with liposuction and you may need multiple treatments in order to get the results you desire.

Coolsculpting and tattoos

Coolsculpting is a procedure that selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. It is a great method to help rid your "muffins top". Having a tattoo does not preclude you from having coolsculpting.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Muffin Tops and CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting can be safely done over a tattoo. You may be a good candidate for CoolSculpting but you would need to treat the entire trunk area as a whole, not one small part of the lower belly. Treating the body holistically can yield great results keeping in mind that the closer you are to your ideal body weight, the better the results. From your photo, it looks like you may need to treat the anterior and posterior hips, and the bilateral abdomen. Each side of each area will require at least 2 cycles. After doing hundreds of CoolSculpting procedures, one treatment on one area is not enough. In order for the treatment to work, it must be treated twice. I recommend finding a CoolSculpting Certified facility in your area and scheduling a consult. Remember, choose the facility based on experience, patient satisfaction, customer service and not price. Good luck to you!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and tattoos

Coolsculpting is a great procedure and the tattoo will not be affected by the coolsculpting procedure. The area in your abdomen may take a combination of applicators and repeated treatment to achieve the best results. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolsculpting.

You should have a great result

Coolsculpting can certainly be done over tattoos with no issues at all.  The best way of knowing how good of candidate you are is to have a personal assessment.  However, based on a photo of your muffin top, we have seen many candidates in our office with a similar body type who have experienced a fantastic result.  I would expect that you undergo what is called a debulking treatment first with a larger applicator, followed by a "sculpting" treatment after.  For best results, you should do the treatments at least 60 days apart.  This is called treatment to transformation and will yield you the best result in the long term. 

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon