Bra or braless?

Just wondered why some drs recommend a tight sports bra or surgical bra after surgery and some recommend no bra at all? My dr said I could go braless at home and while sleeping but if I did wear a bra when I'm out of the house to make sure it was soft and individual cups, no underwire, no padding and no sports bra... What difference does it even make?

Type of bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

Excellent question - 
  • A bra should provide comfortable support after breast surgery.
  • Underwires can be irritating.
  • Padding and sports bras put pressure on the surgery and tend to be uncomfortable.
  • When implants are under the muscle, going bra-less may help them settle in position.
  • Your surgeon's advice sounds entirely reasonable.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Bra or no bra

Each surgeon has their own surgical techniques and recommendations for post surgical care.  Bras often will give support to the breasts as they heal and reduce swelling.  Anything too tight is not advised because it can reduce blood supply to the area that is healing.  After augmentation your skin sensation may be altered.  If an underwire is worn and it is not fitting properly, your altered sensation may prevent you from knowing it is cutting into your skin.  
It is best to follow your surgeon's advice as he/she is most familiar with your surgical situation.

Camille Cash, MD

Bra or Braless?

Every surgeon has their own opinions regarding wearing bras after surgery.  In many cases ( but not all), I recommend my patients to go braless after breast augmentation surgery to allow for the implants to drop and settle.  Follow your surgeon's instructions.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Post op Bra

There is no standard or correct bra. Some doctors dont use any bra at all afterwards. I tell patients the only things I am concerned about a bra are whether it is comfortable number 1, and then supportive number 2. These are the most important bra considerations.

An underwire will usually fail number 1 early on, but is fine shortly after. The larger the implants and more ptosis (sagging) you started with the more important a bra is to a longer lasting result.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Bras after surgery

Ask you surgeon as there are too many variables to give you a generic answer. I have my patients wear a strap across the top of their breast to  hold them down but I also put all of my implants in through a small incision in the underarm so there is no scar on the breast. My pts would be back in a bra in about three weeks. 

Compression Garments

Compression garments are helpful for managing swelling, comfort and decreasing dead space to prevent fluid accumulation when ther is extensive tissue dissection.  It has no bearing on the final aesthetic outcome.  As such protocols differ based on surgeon preference and clinical scenarios.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

A surgical bra is almost exclusively for comfort.

There is probably no biologic effect on the healing after breast augmentation provided by a surgical bra. Most surgeons provide one for the purposes of comfort.

Bra or braless?

Every surgeon has different post operative requirements and their own reasons for them. Follow your surgeons instructions as he or she knows what was done and how you've healed this far. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Bra or Braless

Most surgeons have varying opinions on what to do with patients after breast augmentation in terms of dressings, bandages, and bras.

As for me, I think the optimal setup is a supportive sports bra (to prevent gross implant mobility), no underwire (to prevent the underwire from rubbing and irritating a fresh incision), and a compression top-strap to hold the implants in place.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so that you understand his or her rationale for instructions. You may find some surgeons that tell you no matter what you do, the results will be the same. Best of luck to you!

Bra or braless?

You are correct that there is no universally agreed upon approach to post breast augmentation dressing care.  In my practice, I usually recommend that my patients wear a sports bra with no underwire or stiff cups, along with a compression bandage above the breasts to help hold the implants in place.  I believe the light compression, that the bra and bandage afford, helps minimize swelling, bruising and discomfort.  But, check with your surgeon and follow their instructions.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon