55 years young; I had gastric bypass surgery several years ago. How long is the healing process after the tummy tuck?

I work offshore I'm Able Body seamen my job requires a lot of physical sometimes demands Play bending stretching pulling chaining down cargo I have contemplating having the surgery done I need to know how long will be out of service and that he will return work

Healing after tummy tuck?

It depends-- if there is no muscle tightening, then your recovery will go faster than if the muscle is tightened. I recommend that a patient allow about four weeks before resuming conditioning exercise which is roughly equal to your job description. During the first two-three weeks after surgery, your surgeon can recommend some light physical exercise based on your stamina, physical findings and prior tolerance of physical exercise. The determine the best approach for you, plan to consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate plenty of experience with tummy tuck for  individuals with physically demanding occupations.

Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

How long out of work as offshore worker

While men usually have a an easier post op course since we usually don't have to tighten the muscles so they are not as sore, on the other hand going back to such a physical job will require a fairly high level of healing. I would estimate that if he has a procedure that is just the abdomen it will be a bout three to four weeks. However, if he has a more extensive procedure such as a circumferential body lift plus another area like chest, arms or thighs it could take up to 6 weeks. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

55 years young. I had a GBP several years ago. How long is the healing process after TT?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Based on the physical requirements of your job I would recommend at least 6 weeks of recovery, and possibly more, if a muscle repair is performed.  If only skin needs to be removed you would likely be able to return in th 3-4 week range.  Hope this helps. 

Recovery time after TT

Thank you for your question. It varies from the procedure and its extent and patient pain tolerance and any early complications. Generally speaking recovery period is about 2-4 weeks after tummy tuck

Healing time after tummy tuck

Your question is a common one. A tummy tuck procedure is major surgery and requires at least 4-6 weeks of healing after surgery. If you have a physically active job, I would recommend that you plan on a minimum of 6 weeks with no lifting. Most of my patients can go back to work within 3 weeks if they have office positions. While I encourage my patients to begin walking rather than sitting around, they should limit their physical activity and no lifting anything over 10 pounds until fully healed. I hope that this helps in your decision.