Bruises from Restylane. Why is this happening?

I've been getting injections/fillers for 10 years & never bruised. Recently I've seen a new doctor and I get bruises every time I get injected. Why is this happening? Is it because I'm getting older & my skin is more fragile or is bc of something the DR is doing?

Use Cannulas to Avoid Bruising with Fillers

The answer is that sometimes bruising is variable to a new injector, technique, the skin quality, etc. If you're concerned I recommend following up with your Dr. Cannulas can be used in order to prevent bruising. Best, Dr. Emer

Bruising after injections

Bruising can occur anytime injections are done because blood vessels can be hit under and in the skin.  Your new doctor may be too rough injecting too fast and not being slow and careful. be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Bruising after injections

Thank you for your question. The short answer is, it depends. It depends a lot on the injection area, and whether or not that area has been injected before, your skin quality, the injector's skill (to a degree), and plain dumb luck. Any time a needle is passed through the skin, there is a chance of bruising - it is the nature of the injectable beast! With time, it is true that your skin quality will decrease, and will thin - this can sometimes make the area more susceptible to bruising. Also, if you have started taking an aspirin, or take NSAIDS like Aleeve routinely, you have a greater chance of bruising. So, there are many factors. Most importantly, however, is that you are going to see someone who is experienced with injectables, who performs them safely, and who consistently gives you excellent results. Best of luck! 

Bruising following injection of Restylane

Thank you for sharing your question. The method and style of treatment can make a big difference with the results of Restylane injections. When done properly, there should be minimal to no bruising. Always make sure a specialist is performing your treatments. Good luck,

Bruising more ...

Thanks for this question. To reduce bruising avoid:

Aspirin, Ibuprofen, fish oil, alcohol and garlic. 

Consider Arnica Montana 1 to 5 days before.

Ice during the procedure.

Be sure your injector uses a gentle technique.

Ice for 48 hours after with frozen peas.

Sleep with your head elevated for 24 hours.

Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

It depends.

Good afternoon,

Bruising can come from a number of different reasons when it comes to injectors and fillers. Your previous doctor may have a different technique that led to less bruising than your current doctor. If you continue to see this doctor, please let them know about your bruising. They may be able to adjust their technique to better suite your body.

Norman M. Rowe, MD