Did Sclerotherapy about 2 weeks ago, my leg still hurts when I get up and touch it, is that normal? Should I be worried?

Tenderness after sclerotherapy

It is very normal to have tenderness over the treated vein segment.  The larger the treated vein the more likely tenderness will occur and can last over 1 month.  I recommend compression with a medical grade compression stocking and a warm compress over the tender site if the tenderness is significant.  

Beverly Hills Physician

Venasmart compression stockings

You may have some degree of superficial thrombophlebitis that will resolve. I would apply Plato's Omega Vein Cream and use Venasmart compression stockings. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Certainly possible

It is certainly possible to have discomfort at this point after sclerotherapy.   Much depends on the type of sclerotic used, the skill of the injector, which veins, etc... All agents cause the veins to develop inflammation and if the veins treated are very superficial (close to the skin) you can suffer from thrombophlebitis.  I highly recommend arnica cream applied twice a day. 

Good luck!

Aaron Shiloh, MD
Philadelphia Physician

Legs hurt after Sclerotherapy

Thanks for your question. It can be normal to have discomfort in the weeks following injection sclerotherapy, regardless of the substance used.  It can be a sign of a superficial clot/thrombus or inflammation of the vein (phlebitis). Both are easily treated, and I often have my patients pop in for a quick 2 week post treatment visit in anticipation of catching these issues.  I suggest getting in touch with your injector and discussing this with them. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Post sclerotherapy discomfort

As someone who has had sclerotherapy numerous times, it is not abnormal to have some tenderness over the closed vein for weeks and even up to a month after treatment.  I have noticed this is more likely to occur when the larger green veins are closed, rather than small spider veins.  This is because the medication damages the vein, and it is not unusual to have some degree of inflammation that occurs prior to your body reabsorbing the vein (phlebitis).  If there is a particularly tender spot, it could be trapped blood that is causing the discomfort.  Your provider should be able to distinguish the cause of your discomfort and guide you in how to best treat it.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Pain after sclerotherapy

It is not common to have pain 2 weeks after sclerotherapy.  There might be some inflammation in the vein, called phlebitis.  I recommend that you call your provider to have the area examined.

Jeffrey Gosin, MD, FACS
Atlantic City Vascular Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

You don't say what agent was used for your sclerotherapy, but the most common ones do not cause pain.  Depending on the veins injected, you may have some mild phlebitis (or inflammation of a larger vein) or a small amount of blood clot trapped inside a closed vein which is exerting pressure and causing the pain.  Phlebitis is treated with anti-inflammatory agents like ibuprofen, heat, walking, and compression.  If there is trapped clot, your doctor can remove it with a needle.  Go back and see your provider for evaluation and treatment recommendations.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Post sclerotherapy pain.

Sclerotherapy normally should not be causing pain two weeks after treatment.  Most likely there may be areas of trapped blood which can cause discomfort.  Ibuprofen orally and wet heat to the tender areas may help and you should follow up with your treating physician.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon